• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Oral History of the Zombie War

#108: July - Sept. 2012 (Fiction)
WildCityWoman
Genius

Re: Oral History of the Zombie War

Unread post

I've also ordered a an e-text version. That'll be along soon.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I finished it up tonight. Funny how you think you're going to take your time with a book - maybe one part per day and you just keep turning the pages, or letting the audio run.

A good story - leaves the reader with a lot to think about.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I'm a little late coming into the discussion, and I have to admit that the zombie component threw me off a bit, but, I have finished the novel and can say I have enjoyed it. I think the author is very clever to use zombies. We all think of an epidemic, or a natural disaster or a not so natural disaster for this type of world wide catastrophe, but to use zombies is priceless. The zombie component is really very small, it seems to me to be used as a catalyst to show how people would react when faced with any type of disaster. In one of the earlier chapters someone said that they could see people getting together to create a zombie sympathy law, this had me in stiches, for I can see this happening. There propbably would be a group of people trying to make peace with the zombies. There are those who would try to make money off this situation. The president said, "lets fight them"! Lots of bravado from the president, but very little planning or action. A fun novel Johnson, so glad you reccomended it!

It was the "Zombie Protection Act", Pg. 54. Not, zombie sympathy law.

The only criticism I have about the novel is that all the voices of the people interviewed all sound the same.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

I'm glad you liked it Suzanne.

I do think this book has more to add to people's lives than a romp through zombie land.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Esther_Jones
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I really loved this book. Which totally surprised me. I admit Zombie books are usually not at all my thing.

Not with this one though. The author weaves the narratives together so well, and the book really becomes about the people who are living through the Zombie war and how they all see it just a little differently. I even own the audio book, and am super pumped that they are coming out with an extended, (hopefully unabridged?) version soon. I've recommended to lots of people who are not readers of the zombie genre, and they all love it. Just an all around good book.
jonestales.wordpress.com
@ejonestales
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Hi Esther!

After the enjoyable read that WWZ was, i tried some other zombie books with unsatisfying results.

There is nothing fundamentally wrong or difficult about writing a good zombie book. The problem is, of course, what level of craft you bring to the writing. Super hero movies were terrible and there looked to be no end in sight. But if you take it seriously, and don't keep saying to the audience

"Hey guys! Guys in spandex! we don't even buy this garbage ourselves! nudge nudge."

you just might end up with the Dark Knight.

So yeah, as i have said, what's good about this book isn't the zombies. They are just the mcguffin that gets the world into trouble and has everyone out of their comfort zones which brings us to the interesting things people do when pushed.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
usdfg
Master Debater

Careless Mistakes on the Kindle

Unread post

Hey, this book really fascinated me. I started reading it on my kindle but the careless grammar mistakes make it intolerable to read. This is not the first time something like this occurs to a book in my kindle, I really believ amazon should look into that.
[DaniGirl]
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I read this book last December , I have never read anything inside the zombie genre and I only picked this book up because it was the only one in the apartment I was staying at, however I was completely and pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed it.
The zombies do play a small roll in the story, I feel any world catastrophe scenario could have been substituted while keeping the integrity of the book. What I liked about this book is it looks at the aspects of an apocalypse most forget to include. Yes the stories for survival, finding food, weapons, etc is there but for instance I remember a part where a survivor (I think he was Japanese its been awhile) who spent so much time on the internet "watching" the worlds demise digitally that he doesn't notice the disappearance of his parents and has to escape out the window way after the problems had become uncontrollable. Also the mention of men who spent days filtering CB radio transmissions to find and send out relevant news to the public and how many of them we're traumatized having to listen to the screams of those who could not be helped.
Another thing I really appreciated about the book is the logicality the human race has to take in order to save itself. Everyone assumes all will be saved but they had to essentially bite the bullet and cut the fat and I think this is something even hard core zombie fans ignore.
In a post apocalyptic world things like allergies can be death sentences, the old and the invalid a heavy burden to carry, when brought down to its bare bones what type of people would the world need in order to rebuild ? Secretaries and CEO's ? or carpenters and electricians? It comes down to whats best for the many.
I like that this book makes one think about and recognize these cold truths that can be a part of many survival situations. However I also feel this book does recognize humanities ability to rebuild. Even if its only after willful ignorance, mistakes, and lack of common sense, it describes humanities ability to eventually adapt and work around its current predicaments.

I'd recommend this book to anyone but I also think the way its written by multiple perspectives without a start to finish story line is good for those who aren't used to reading novels at all , the stories keep you turning the pages and bring up many different lines of thinking and reflection. :D

Return to “World War Z - by Max Brooks”