Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Did Jesus Exist - Bart Ehrman's new book 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Did Jesus Exist - Bart Ehrman's new book
excellent!

if only i lived a bit closer i could go to church with you. :D

but since i blasphemed the holy spirit i have only a lost eternity being tortured in hell to look forward to, though he is a merciful god, he is also just, and i only have myself to blame for my lack of faith... ohhh... hang on a minute ....

bible quote from Romans 9

14 Are we saying that God is unfair? Certainly not!
15 The Lord told Moses that he has pity and mercy on anyone he wants to.
16 Everything then depends on God’s mercy and not on what people want or do. 17 In the Scriptures the Lord says to Pharaoh of Egypt, “I let you become Pharaoh, so that I could show you my power and be praised by all people on earth.”
18 Everything depends on what God decides to do, and he can either have pity on people or make them stubborn.

God... you bastard, you made me stubborn :lol:

PS: love you jesus :)

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:36 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

ant wrote:
Robert,

You are responding like a typical mythicist.
You, as other mythicists do, convieniently ignor historical evidence that does not suit your views and attempt to replace it with stories of Christian conspiracies that present stories of covert operations involving the insertion of documents that attempt to create or keep a Jesus myth in circulation - with no hard evidence to back those claims up

What ancient source for example indicates that Osiris was born on Dec 25 before 3 shepards?

The BE article is meant to stir the hornets nest.
Read it. Attacking the artIcle is secondary.
BE did a great job. Criticism of it is from Jesus haters. That is their problem not his

Quote:
You, as other mythicists do, convieniently ignor historical evidence that does not suit your views and attempt to replace it with stories of Christian conspiracies that present stories of covert operations involving the insertion of documents that attempt to create or keep a Jesus myth in circulation - with no hard evidence to back those claims up

There is no historical evidence to back up a claim of this god man. You obviously do not realize Erhman is a fence sitter. The book is nothing more than an attempt to quell his critics.

Quote:
BE did a great job. Criticism of it is from Jesus haters. That is their problem not his

Spoken like a true believer.

Quote:
What ancient source for example indicates that Osiris was born on Dec 25 before 3 shepards?

What 1st Century historian indicates jesus was real? None!

The following user would like to thank Time Bandit for this post:
Chris OConnor, Robert Tulip, youkrst
Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:21 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Hi Time Bandit, welcome to Booktalk.

You may be interested to read the systematic demolition of Ehrman's specific arguments provided by Earl Doherty at Vridar. The Vridar blog, managed by my Australian compatriot Neil Godfrey, also presents informative critiques of fundie idiots such as Larry Hurtado and James McGrath. Also, Richard Carrier is mostly worth reading despite his arrogance and bigotry, for example this recent summary of the status of his conversation with Ehrman.

And for a hilarious piece of incompetent toadyism, see this.

Sorry to use such inflammatory language, but the quality of debate on this topic is very mixed. At least it is genuinely sparking debate, if not in public beyond the internet.

Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:20 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Creative Writing Student

Robert Tulip wrote:
Hi Time Bandit, welcome to Booktalk.

You may be interested to read the systematic demolition of Ehrman's specific arguments provided by Earl Doherty at Vridar. The Vridar blog, managed by my Australian compatriot Neil Godfrey, also presents informative critiques of fundie idiots such as Larry Hurtado and James McGrath. Also, Richard Carrier is mostly worth reading despite his arrogance and bigotry, for example this recent summary of the status of his conversation with Ehrman.

And for a hilarious piece of incompetent toadyism, see this.

Sorry to use such inflammatory language, but the quality of debate on this topic is very mixed. At least it is genuinely sparking debate, if not in public beyond the internet.

Thanks Robert for the welcome. Yes I am familiar with Doherty's demolition of it.David Fitzgerald is worth a read as well:

Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All.
http://www.amazon.com/Nailed-Christian- ... 0557709911

I am about 20% through this but he highlights some excellent arguments and brings a lot of things to light. As I said Erhman's years of fence straddling has suddenly made him unsure of his POV.....

There are some discussions going on here as well:
http://www.jesusneverexistedforum.com/forum

tat tvam asi, youkrst
Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:45 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Addict

I checked the book preview, looks interesting and to the point.

https://www.ex-christian.net/

Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:53 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
One with Books

Silver Contributor

:lol: http://newsimg.ngfiles.com/225000/22537 ... bird_2.jpg :D

Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:26 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Asleep in Reading Chair

youkrst wrote:
excellent!

if only i lived a bit closer i could go to church with you. :D

but since i blasphemed the holy spirit i have only a lost eternity being tortured in hell to look forward to, though he is a merciful god, he is also just, and i only have myself to blame for my lack of faith... ohhh... hang on a minute ....

bible quote from Romans 9

14 Are we saying that God is unfair? Certainly not!
15 The Lord told Moses that he has pity and mercy on anyone he wants to.
16 Everything then depends on God’s mercy and not on what people want or do. 17 In the Scriptures the Lord says to Pharaoh of Egypt, “I let you become Pharaoh, so that I could show you my power and be praised by all people on earth.”
18 Everything depends on what God decides to do, and he can either have pity on people or make them stubborn.

God... you bastard, you made me stubborn :lol:

PS: love you jesus :)

You stubborn #$%^& :)

You're welcome to bring your blasphemous self to church with me anytime. It never hurts to shake up the old ladies...

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 pm
Profile Email
Creative Writing Student

They would really be shook up if they knew they had been lied to the last 2000 years, the whole sheeple herd would stampede.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:03 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Asleep in Reading Chair

Time Bandit wrote:
They would really be shook up if they knew they had been lied to the last 2000 years, the whole sheeple herd would stampede.

Of course they would.

Funny how many (not all of course) intelligent, well educated, questioning people investigate their faith, and become more devout. Almost as if they hadn't found a lie, but rather truth... :mrgreen:

Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:27 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Reading Addict

^And what truth would that be Doulos? Lay it on us.

The following user would like to thank tat tvam asi for this post:
youkrst
Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:46 pm
Profile Email
Creative Writing Student

tat tvam asi wrote:
^And what truth would that be Doulos? Lay it on us.

My guess is he cannot tell you and if he does he's going to claim the bible told him so. You gonna love that circular logic.

youkrst
Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:44 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I haven't been watching this discussion but I do see that has grown quite large.

Someone help me here please. Are you guys discussing the actual book? If so I could put these this thread into a forum and announce this book as an official discussion book - maybe for October, November and December. The conversation has been going on for a while so I don't want to have a 90 day discussion period starting in November or December.

Any thoughts on this? If someone wants to be discussion leader and you like the idea please send me a PM. I might not check back and see follow-up comments right away.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:49 pm
Profile Email WWW
Reading Addict

Chris, Earl Doherty (who we've been linking to @ the Vridar blog) has just published an e-book refuting Ehrman's "Did Jesus Exist?" chapter by chapter.

Why don't we consider putting Doherty's book up for discussion? It's bound to run up page views. He takes Ehrman to task.

In this case, you really can judge a book by it's cover:

The End of an Illusion: How Bart Ehrman’s “Did Jesus Exist?” Has Laid the Case for an Historical Jesus to Rest

The following user would like to thank tat tvam asi for this post:
youkrst
Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:33 pm
Profile Email
Creative Writing Student

tat tvam asi wrote:
Chris, Earl Doherty (who we've been linking to @ the Vridar blog) has just published an e-book refuting Ehrman's "Did Jesus Exist?" chapter by chapter.

Why don't we consider putting Doherty's book up for discussion? It's bound to run up page views. He takes Ehrman to task.

In this case, you really can judge a book by it's cover:

The End of an Illusion: How Bart Ehrman’s “Did Jesus Exist?” Has Laid the Case for an Historical Jesus to Rest

Great idea! Like it. Thanks for the link to the book I had no idea Doherty had written that.

tat tvam asi, youkrst
Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:54 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

As discussion in this thread shows, Bart Ehrman's book is worthless as a scholarly contribution, and should not be dignified with any respect. However, it is politically important as an extended effort by a leading Biblical scholar to refute the hypothesis that Jesus Christ is a myth. Ehrman totally embarrasses himself, failing to understand or engage with the material he writes about, and diminishing the good reputation he had earned from earlier works on forgery in Christian tradition.

Most people who are interested in discussing Jesus are rusted-on Jesus believers, and their faith virus has made them incapable of distinguishing between evidence and lies. Some fundamentalists are so brazen in their irrationality that they assert that Ehrman has refuted mythicism, without any regard to content or logic. Earl Doherty applies the basic standards of evidence to this topic, showing that the dogma of the Gospels as history is baseless by any rigorous standards of scholarship.

Earl Doherty proves that Bart Ehrman's defence of the historical Jesus is incompetent and wrong. Jesus Christ did not exist. For readers who want a good understanding of the real evidence for the historical Jesus (ie there is none), Earl Doherty is among the most informed, logical, honest and persuasive scholars writing today.

Earl Doherty's great book Jesus Neither God Nor Man, building on his earlier The Jesus Puzzle, sets out the evidence in forensic detail, showing the trail of obvious clues for the construction of the myth of Jesus. His new book rebutting Ehrman was presented in instalments on the blog Vridar, and provides an accessible popular introduction to the case of the missing Jesus.

Booktalk could encourage Earl Doherty to participate in discussion of his new book. I suspect he would welcome the invitation, as he actively participates in several internet discussion boards. Apart from the net he seems to be under an informal media ban from any public mention.

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:28 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next