Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; Final Thoughts 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book General

Silver Contributor

Post The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; Final Thoughts
THE HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
Douglas Adams

Final Thoughts

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:47 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

Post Re: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; Final Thoughts
I had never read this book in school and not one i would have normally chosen so thank you booktalk! I thoroughly enjoyed it. My edition has an afterward that explained the difficulty and time it took to get the movie made, and also interviews with the actors and screen writer. i am very much looking forward to the movie which will arrive from netflix on monday.

One final thought i have, is how DAs writing seemed so steeped in theological concepts as i read from other contributors on booktalk and my own research on the man revealed him to be a staunch athiest. The conundrum was soon resolved when i read on wikipedia DAs own quote "I love to keep poking and prodding at it [religion]. I've thought about it so much over the years that that fascination is bound to spill over into my writing".

The following user would like to thank jjames76 for this post:
giselle
Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:06 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Pop up Book Fanatic

The movie was fun to watch. It was like a disney version of montey python. I could really see the athiesm much more in the movie. It was a brilliant adaptation from the book incorporating more of a whackey comic romance theme that worked well in film. I understood the "achieving normalcy" from watching the movie. Anyway, highly recommended. Next, radio series....lol

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:57 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Wearing Out Library Card

Silver Contributor

At a recent poster session where I work, my poster was in slot #42. I thought of Douglas Adams and smiled.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:33 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

tbarron wrote:
At a recent poster session where I work, my poster was in slot #42. I thought of Douglas Adams and smiled.
DA had a way of making the ordinary extraordinary and I think his popularization of the number 42 is a good example.

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:27 pm
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

jjames76 wrote:
I had never read this book in school and not one i would have normally chosen so thank you booktalk! I thoroughly enjoyed it. My edition has an afterward that explained the difficulty and time it took to get the movie made, and also interviews with the actors and screen writer. i am very much looking forward to the movie which will arrive from netflix on monday.

One final thought i have, is how DAs writing seemed so steeped in theological concepts as i read from other contributors on booktalk and my own research on the man revealed him to be a staunch athiest. The conundrum was soon resolved when i read on wikipedia DAs own quote "I love to keep poking and prodding at it [religion]. I've thought about it so much over the years that that fascination is bound to spill over into my writing".

Thanks for this, I think 'poking and prodding' is a good description of DA's satire, whether his target is religion or local government officials or poets!! :P

Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:29 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Freshman

At first I had a lot of trouble getting into this book but when I got to the end I didn't want it to be over. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. Sorry I didn't participate much in the discussion but honestly you guys had such great thoughts and insights that I didn't have much to add. Lol.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:19 pm
Profile Email
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

You've made a great contribution Olivia, please hang about and comment as you read the later books. I'm reading Mostly Harmless and I don't think we have to stick religiously to this first book, if you want to comment on one of the later books in the series, go for it.

Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:48 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genius

I read this one about a year ago and it led me to gather them all from the library and listen thru them. Good clean fun is what they are. Anybody wanting a good laugh should try his stories.

The following user would like to thank WildCityWoman for this post:
giselle
Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:54 am
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

Hey WCW, nice to see you here and thanks for your thoughts. I think Douglas Adams would have liked your description "good clean fun". I like his writing and his satirical reflections on serious subjects (is atheism serious?) but mainly I enjoy some good laughs when I read his work .. I think DA gives meaning to the famous text short form ... LOL.

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:27 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Not latency, or power shortage, nor bedtime shall keep me from my appointed screed

This book was also out of what I would normally read, but I really enjoyed it and found it to be a quick enjoyable read. When purchasing it I had the option of only getting the first book for $15 or buying all 5 for $18 - so I elected to spend $18 and get all five novels in one volume and hoped that I would like them. I just finished the first and plan to keep on reading the others in order, so up next for me is The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I think I remember when we started discussing that someone said Mostly Harmless was there favorite so I'm looking forward to them and more of DA's humor.

The following user would like to thank sal10e for this post:
giselle
Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:44 pm
Profile Email
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

sal10e wrote:
This book was also out of what I would normally read, but I really enjoyed it and found it to be a quick enjoyable read. When purchasing it I had the option of only getting the first book for $15 or buying all 5 for $18 - so I elected to spend $18 and get all five novels in one volume and hoped that I would like them. I just finished the first and plan to keep on reading the others in order, so up next for me is The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. I think I remember when we started discussing that someone said Mostly Harmless was there favorite so I'm looking forward to them and more of DA's humor.

Yes, its a pretty good deal to get all 5 books for 18 bucks. Enjoy the Restaurant, more adventure of Arthur and Co, towel and all.

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:54 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.