• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Part Two, Chapters III–IV (3 - 4)

#111: Sept. - Nov. 2012 (Fiction)
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Part Two, Chapters III–IV (3 - 4)

Unread post

At his trial, Reardon refuses to recognize the authority of the court.
"I have no defense."
"Do you—" The judge stumbled; he had not expected it to be that easy. "Do you throw yourself upon the mercy of this court?"
"I do not recognize this court's right to try me."
"What?"
"I do not recognize this court's right to try me."
"But, Mr. Rearden, this is the legally appointed court to try this particular category of crime."
"I do not recognize my action as a crime,"
"But you have admitted that you have broken our regulations controlling the sale of your Metal."
"I do not recognize your right to control the sale of my Metal."
"Is it necessary for me to point out that your recognition was not required?"
"No. I am fully aware of it and I am acting accordingly."
He noted the stillness of the room. By the rules of the complicated pretense which all those people played for one another's benefit, they should have considered his stand as incomprehensible folly; there should have been rustles of astonishment and derision; there were none; they sat still; they understood.
"Do you mean that you are refusing to obey the law?" asked the judge.
"No. I am complying with the law—to the letter. Your law holds that my life, my work and my property may be disposed of without my consent. Very well, you may now dispose of me without my participation in the matter. I will not play the part of defending myself, where no defense is possible, and I will not simulate the illusion of dealing with a tribunal of justice."
p.364
Very interesting, no? A major step in Reardon's deeper perception of the system.
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

...three ships of d'Anconia copper, bound from San Juan to New York, had been attacked by Ragnar Danneskjold and sent to the bottom of the ocean ... he knew that much more than the copper had gone down for him with those ships.
p. 378
Reardon recognizes that Frisco is in league with pirates. Weird stuff going on....
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Mr A
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Rearden’s courtroom speech, was magnificent.

He doesn’t recognize the right of the court to try him, because he does not recognize his action as a crime.

Some important points I’d like to bring up:
The public may curtail my profits any time it wishes— by refusing to buy my product.”
“We are speaking of . . . other methods.”
“Any other method of curtailing profits is the method of looters— and I recognize it as such.”
In Rand’s view any other method (as in governmental intervention in the economy, itself) is against the principle of individual rights. Rearden is doing absolutely nothing wrong making and selling Rearden Metal in the marketplace, violating no one’s rights. The moment the government steps in to regulate that market itself, rights violations occur. Just as Rearden mentions, the market has it’s own built in mechanisms in which the public could curtail his profits by not buying his products, or by not dealing with him in any way whatsoever. His rights aren’t violated if people simply do not want to buy his products, or deal with him in business, but if the government was to get involved and restrict him in the marketplace, that would violate his rights.
I do not want my attitude to be misunderstood. I shall be glad to state it for the record. I am in full agreement with the facts of everything said about me in the newspapers— with the facts, but not with the evaluation. I work for nothing but my own profit— which I make by selling a product they need to men who are willing and able to buy it. I do not produce it for their benefit at the expense of mine, and they do not buy it for my benefit at the expense of theirs; I do not sacrifice my interests to them nor do they sacrifice theirs to me; we deal as equals by mutual consent to mutual advantage— and I am proud of every penny that I have earned in this manner. I am rich and I am proud of every penny I own. I made my money by my own effort, in free exchange and through the voluntary consent of every man I dealt with— the voluntary consent of those who employed me when I started, the voluntary consent of those who work for me now, the voluntary consent of those who buy my product. I shall answer all the questions you are afraid to ask me openly. Do I wish to pay my workers more than their services are worth to me? I do not. Do I wish to sell my product for less than my customers are willing to pay me? I do not. Do I wish to sell it at a loss or give it away? I do not. If this is evil, do whatever you please about me, according to whatever standards you hold. These are mine. I am earning my own living, as every honest man must. I refuse to accept as guilt the fact of my own existence and the fact that I must work in order to support it. I refuse to accept as guilt the fact that I am able to do it and do it well. I refuse to accept as guilt the fact that I am able to do it better than most people— the fact that my work is of greater value than the work of my neighbors and that more men are willing to pay me. I refuse to apologize for my ability— I refuse to apologize for my success— I refuse to apologize for my money. If this is evil, make the most of it. If this is what the public finds harmful to its interests, let the public destroy me. This is my code— and I will accept no other. I could say to you that I have done more good for my fellow men than you can ever hope to accomplish— but I will not say it, because I do not seek the good of others as a sanction for my right to exist, nor do I recognize the good of others as a justification for their seizure of my property or their destruction of my life. I will not say that the good of others was the purpose of my work— my own good was my purpose, and I despise the man who surrenders his. I could say to you that you do not serve the public good— that nobody’s good can be achieved at the price of human sacrifices— that when you violate the rights of one man, you have violated the rights of all, and a public of rightless creatures is doomed to destruction. I could say to you that you will and can achieve nothing but universal devastation— as any looter must, when he runs out of victims. I could say it, but I won’t. It is not your particular policy that I challenge, but your moral premise. If it were true that men could achieve their good by means of turning some men into sacrificial animals, and I were asked to immolate myself for the sake of creatures who wanted to survive at the price of my blood, if I were asked to serve the interests of society apart from, above and against my own— I would refuse. I would reject it as the most contemptible evil, I would fight it with every power I possess, I would fight the whole of mankind, if one minute were all I could last before I were murdered, I would fight in the full confidence of the justice of my battle and of a living being’s right to exist. Let there be no misunderstanding about me. If it is now the belief of my fellow men, who call themselves the public, that their mood requires victims, then I say: The public good be damned, I will have no part of it!”
The crowd burst into applause.
I think they do a fantastic job with Rearden’s courtroom speech in the film adaptation Atlas Shrugged Part 2, by condensing it to it’s essences to fit the screen.

Later in this chapter Frisco speaks about types of men and the women they are attracted to. There is a great book out that applies Rand’s views to relationships really well, it’s called, The Selfish Path to Romance: How to Love with Passion and Reason by Ellen Kenner and Edwin Locke, also Rand write more in regards to men and women in her “On a Woman President”. For those interested in learning further about her views, and the application of her philosophy to relationships, as such. Masculinity, femininity, hero worship, love, etc. Another source is The Ayn Rand Lexicon, which is available to search for free online here, where you can read about her views by clicking on topics:

http://aynrandlexicon.com/
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
- Cyril Connolly

My seven published books are available for purchase, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/Steven-L.-Sheppard/e/B00E6KOX12

Return to “Atlas Shrugged - by Ayn Rand”