• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

November & December 2012 Non-Fiction Book Selection

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: November & December 2012 Non-Fiction Book Selection

Unread post

Dexter, it is more the topic than the author that interests me. Quite frankly I'd probably rather read about Lincoln's life and death from a different source so if you have a suggestions please share it. And Lincoln is one idea but anything to do with American history would be nice. Yes, I'm biased towards American history as I'm an American. I'd consider other stuff too.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Chris OConnor wrote:Dexter, it is more the topic than the author that interests me. Quite frankly I'd probably rather read about Lincoln's life and death from a different source so if you have a suggestions please share it. And Lincoln is one idea but anything to do with American history would be nice. Yes, I'm biased towards American history as I'm an American. I'd consider other stuff too.
I also like reading American history.

It's a big undertaking, but I'd rather read this highly-regarded biography of Lincoln
http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-David-Her ... hy+lincoln

But don't let me stop the suggestion process, just throwing in my two cents
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I'm not really hanging out much here lately, so this is not an official vote or endorsement. But if you want to read about this time period in American history, check out anything by Bruce Catton, who won a Pulitzer in 1954 for A Stillness at Appomattox, the last of a trilogy about the Civil War. The first book in this trilogy would probably be a great choice, though I haven't actually read it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038504 ... r=&sr=1-11

But I have read this fine and highly anthologized essay by Catton in which he compares and contrasts Lee and Grant. Worth reading!

http://users.ipfw.edu/ruflethe/grantandlee.html
-Geo
Question everything
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I also love reading history and depending on the topic would rather read the primary sources (diaries, speeches) than just the historian's opinion. But there are some great historians out there and definitely some books worth reading. On the topic of Lincoln I would suggest two -

This Fiery Trial: The Speeches and Writings of Abraham Lincoln - William E. Gienapp
This is a great book because Gienapp gives you a little snapshot of what was going on at the time of each of Lincoln's speeches in the book, but then you get to read the speech yourself and see Lincoln's mind at work. I also enjoy the novelty in this day and age of a president who wrote his own speeches. The link is below - five out of five stars at Amazon and multiple reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Fiery-Trial- ... 2C+William

2nd suggestion would be-Tried By War: Abraham Lincoln as Commander in Chief - James M. McPherson. I have not read this book, but I have read McPherson before and he is a great author and historian. This received four stars at Amazon and the link is http://www.amazon.com/Tried-War-Abraham ... r+in+chief
jjames76
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I have purchased the book: No Easy Day, and would love to discuss it in this forum, so i am rooting for chris oconners suggestion.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I have finished O'Reilly's "Killing Lincoln" and must withdraw my suggestion that it be a topic of discussion. The authors freely admit they want it to read 'like a thirller.' It this they succeed. Unfortunately, the book is so full of errors, it should be considered fiction. For example, on the day of is assassinatin, Lincoln works in the Oval Office. The Oval Office was not built until 1909 during the administration of William Howard Taft.

The books adds nothing to the Lincoln legacy.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

A poll will be created in the next few days. :-)
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Anyone here ever read Steven Pinker's The Blank Slate: the Modern Denial of Human Nature? It looks like a good one.

I see it's been discussed here before, but many of those who participated are not around any more.
-Geo
Question everything
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Geo, "The Blank Slate" was the 9th book we read and discussed here on BookTalk.org. We were a young community back then and if there is enough interest there is no reason we cannot pull that forum out of the archive and do it again. Here is our BOOKS page that shows all past (and current) books we've discussed with links to the discussion forums and chat transcripts if we did a live chat. http://www.booktalk.org/books.html

Oh, and we did a live chat with Pinker. I sure miss doing live chats. You can read the transcript here. http://www.booktalk.org/transcript5.php
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

Cattleman I read the O'Reilly book too and I cringed the whole time. I don't many American history books off the top of my head but a few years ago I read a great book "Elizabeth and Mary" by Jane Dunn. It's a dual biography of Elizabeth 1 and Mary Queen of Scots.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”