• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; Final Thoughts

#112: Oct. - Dec. 2012 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; Final Thoughts

Unread post

THE HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
Douglas Adams

Final Thoughts
jjames76
Getting Comfortable

Re: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; Final Thoughts

Unread post

I had never read this book in school and not one i would have normally chosen so thank you booktalk! I thoroughly enjoyed it. My edition has an afterward that explained the difficulty and time it took to get the movie made, and also interviews with the actors and screen writer. i am very much looking forward to the movie which will arrive from netflix on monday.

One final thought i have, is how DAs writing seemed so steeped in theological concepts as i read from other contributors on booktalk and my own research on the man revealed him to be a staunch athiest. The conundrum was soon resolved when i read on wikipedia DAs own quote "I love to keep poking and prodding at it [religion]. I've thought about it so much over the years that that fascination is bound to spill over into my writing".
jjames76
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

The movie was fun to watch. It was like a disney version of montey python. I could really see the athiesm much more in the movie. It was a brilliant adaptation from the book incorporating more of a whackey comic romance theme that worked well in film. I understood the "achieving normalcy" from watching the movie. Anyway, highly recommended. Next, radio series....lol
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

At a recent poster session where I work, my poster was in slot #42. I thought of Douglas Adams and smiled.
Tom
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

tbarron wrote:At a recent poster session where I work, my poster was in slot #42. I thought of Douglas Adams and smiled.
DA had a way of making the ordinary extraordinary and I think his popularization of the number 42 is a good example.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

jjames76 wrote:I had never read this book in school and not one i would have normally chosen so thank you booktalk! I thoroughly enjoyed it. My edition has an afterward that explained the difficulty and time it took to get the movie made, and also interviews with the actors and screen writer. i am very much looking forward to the movie which will arrive from netflix on monday.

One final thought i have, is how DAs writing seemed so steeped in theological concepts as i read from other contributors on booktalk and my own research on the man revealed him to be a staunch athiest. The conundrum was soon resolved when i read on wikipedia DAs own quote "I love to keep poking and prodding at it [religion]. I've thought about it so much over the years that that fascination is bound to spill over into my writing".
Thanks for this, I think 'poking and prodding' is a good description of DA's satire, whether his target is religion or local government officials or poets!! :P
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

At first I had a lot of trouble getting into this book but when I got to the end I didn't want it to be over. I will definitely be reading the rest of the series. Sorry I didn't participate much in the discussion but honestly you guys had such great thoughts and insights that I didn't have much to add. Lol.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

You've made a great contribution Olivia, please hang about and comment as you read the later books. I'm reading Mostly Harmless and I don't think we have to stick religiously to this first book, if you want to comment on one of the later books in the series, go for it.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I read this one about a year ago and it led me to gather them all from the library and listen thru them. Good clean fun is what they are. Anybody wanting a good laugh should try his stories.
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Hey WCW, nice to see you here and thanks for your thoughts. I think Douglas Adams would have liked your description "good clean fun". I like his writing and his satirical reflections on serious subjects (is atheism serious?) but mainly I enjoy some good laughs when I read his work .. I think DA gives meaning to the famous text short form ... LOL.

Return to “The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - by Douglas Adams”