• In total there are 32 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 31 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Which new (or old) sci-fi books do you recommend?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
faraway_land
Official Newbie!

Which new (or old) sci-fi books do you recommend?

Unread post

What are your favorite sci-fi books? I'm looking for something new and exciting to read. I recently finished "The God Device" (amazon) and was amazed by the story. I love reading stuff that's fresh and that hasn't yet become mainstream. Let me know if you've read anything really good lately from the world of science fiction. Much appreciation in advance.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Which new (or old) sci-fi books do you recommend?

Unread post

Have I read anything good lately? Let's see: I will prepare a list for you in a sec, but I must advise you I have been reading science fiction since trips to the moon were hard sci-fi. :) If I list some you have already read, just skip them. So here we go:

1. Embassytown, by China Meiville. (2011)
2. Hull Zero-Three by Greg Bear (2010)
3. The Wind-up Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (2009)
4. The Crystal Spheres by David Brin (2011)
5. The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (2002).

That should do for a start.... Let me know if I can give you more... I was on the Moon with Arthur C. Clarke, on Venus with Robert Heinlein, and (of course) on Mars with Ray Bradbury. I can't tell you all the sci-novels I have read, but it exceeds 100. (Been reading it for 50+ years), :wink:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I really enjoyed Orson Scott Card's early works -- Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, etc.

I've enjoyed everything I've ever read by Heinlein.

Ursula K. LeGuin. Arthur C. Clarke. I enjoyed C. S. Lewis' science fiction works, although I'm not a fan of his apologetics (used to be, but had a shift in perspective).

Those are the ones the come to mind in the moment. I've also found some good reading in free or pretty inexpensive science fiction collections in the Kindle store at Amazon.
Tom
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I enjoyed A Planet Called Treason by Orson Scott Card as well, I am looking forward to the Ender movie when it comes out also....

Other books I would recommend, Almost anything by Margaret Atwood, Oryx and Crake, especially. I am currently trying to read Infinite Jest, and struggling to get started. I did read Ready Player One, which was entertaining, but a little light on substance or surprise.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

I'll second Oryx & Crake... 1984; Brave New World; We; City by Clifford D Simak (a personal favorite, though more lightweight than the others) - a city is eventually run by dogs; Stranger in a Strange Land; The Stars My Destination; The Demolished Man; Foundation... and so on, obviously picking up on the (or old) part.
Last edited by Kevin on Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

These are probably considered dark fantasy more than sci-fi but The Dark Jewels series by Anne Bishop is really good. It's one of my favorite series. Also anything by Ray Bradbury is really good. I just finished reading The Illustrated Man and am getting ready to re-read Fahrenheit 451.
froglipz

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant
United States of America

Unread post

I also finished the Ender series, highly recommend.
~froglipz~

"I'm not insane, my mother had me tested"

Si vis pacem, para bellum: If you wish for peace, prepare for war.

Return to “Everything Else”