• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Part 1: Two Systems

#110: Sept. - Nov. 2012 (Non-Fiction)
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Part 1: Two Systems

Unread post

I wonder how much this two system approach reflects an intuition of dualism between spirit and matter that has been central to philosophy since Socrates. Plato describes it well in the Phaedrus, with the two horses representing desire and reason. And of course Saint Paul held that the spirit gives life while the way of the flesh is death. Then Descartes formulated the famous Cartesian dualism.

All of this makes sense to me as indicating how language is a representation of reality, so a dualism of symbolic idea and real entity is inevitable. An idea is not a thing, but an idea is real. To some extent it maps to Kahneman's dualism of reason and intuition, except that the conventional dualism is far too simplistic in saying spirit good matter bad.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I think the existence of the two-part system is based on analysis instead of intuition. The two systems are fictions, Kahmnman says, but they are useful fictions in that we can broadly distinguish two modes of thinking, and the modes to some extent have dedicated areas of the brain, as denise pointed out. I don't see the 2-part system as an iteration of mind-body dualism, but I guess it's possible.

I'm interested in how we form assessments and judgments, and Kahneman goes into this at the end of this section of the book. He tells us that System 1 continuously provides us with up-to-date basic assessments of what we see before our eyes. We adjust our responses according to whether there is need for action, but what we most favor is the cognitive ease of cruise-control. When it comes to less basic assessments, about matters that may be remote rather than directly in experience, which Kahneman seems to call judgments, we also have basic assessments we can use as substitutes for the more laborious effort needed to gather relevant information, evaluate it, and form a conclusion. This is how people use face recognition assessments to decide whom to vote for. Kahneman says that voters who watch the most TV, and receive their "information" about candidates mostly from it, rely on the primitive means of judging fitness for office by impressions of trustworthiness in faces. Voters less dependent on TV may actually study the issues, thereby reaching a truer judgment of whom they should vote for.

The trickiest area in judgment is determining accurate magnitude, proportion, degree, or perspective. A lot of arguments seem to be around these matters, and it's very hard to state just what it takes to have more credibility in these rather than less. This could be where experience is irreplaceable. As we get older, our ability to gauge these things tends to increase, simply because we have a greater backlog of experience. On a matter we've discussed, the question of the Historical Jesus, one reason I hesitate to believe the naysayers who don't go along with the tradition is that they don't generally have the immersion in the subject that would be necessary to put matters into perspective and proportion. What does it signify that we have so few references to Jesus? If you are immersed in the historical period and know about hundreds of other figures and the references to them, maybe the scarcity of Jesus mentions becomes less significant. But in any case there can't be a substitute for this deep, painfully acquired knowledge that in experts can begin to function much like intuitions. Kahneman has a section later on about expert intuition.
jjames76
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Still in part one of the book, as i am quickly trying to catch up. also went quickly through the discussion board for part I. Someone (sorry cant remember which post) mentioned there wasnt a central theme or focus of the book, i just wanted to bring our attention to the authors words "The premise of this book is that it is easier to recognize other people's mistakes than our own". (sorry, my kindle does not have page numbers). I find the premise of the book very apropos when non-religious people denigrate religious thought and vice-a-versa.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
And another thing, are we really pre programmed to be afraid of spiders?
It wouldn't surprise me. I find that I'm pre-programmed to enjoy looking at boobs. Looking at a spider tickles the same caveman part of my brain, but in a bad kind of way. 8)
Would you look at a spider if it was walking across a boob? Or would you instinctively smack it and end up in a heck of a lot trouble with the owner of the boob.

:lol:
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Interbane wrote:Is there any scanning/testing to show underlying mechanisms to these categories, or are they arbitrary? It sounds like a useful distinction, but only in the sense that it's one of many heuristics for understanding human thought. Simplify simplify simplify.
I am about to place a bet on a horse - I really do like the roan - why? Well, 'cause I like looking at it - it's a beautiful animal. But the roan has come in second to last in every race run in the past two months.

ThunderBalls is running - an ugly looking beast - splotchy coloring, like somebody took a sponge dipped in bleach and dabbed it all over. But TB has won every race it ran in the past three months.

Hmmmm ... I really do like that roan; beautiful creature. If I take the time to think of this I might put my money on ThunderBalls. But if I just haul on up to the wicket like a shot outta' hell, I might go with my basic intuition and bet on the roan.

And there goes my money - and there goes the roan, having lost but one more race. ThunderBalls proudly brings in the lead as the winners buy another round of drinks for their friends.

Maybe I should move over to one of their tables. I might learn to think things out more carefully in future.

You wanted simple? That's how simple it is - THINK! Don't just go with a gut feeling.

(I rarely go to racetracks, btw - just remembered a roan I bet on when I was in my late teens and thought I'd use the experience)
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:My book just arrived this morning so I haven't begin to read it yet. Having read the posts though, I would just like to say that I like spiders. OK, I don't want their webs all over my living space, but I don't mind how many live with the bats in our coach-house.
I don't mind any of them - spiders, snakes - gorillas, for that matter - as long as they don't jump out at me.

A CoachHouse - ohhhhhhhhh ... how nice!
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
Interbane: It wouldn't surprise me. I find that I'm pre-programmed to enjoy looking at boobs. Looking at a spider tickles the same caveman part of my brain, but in a bad kind of way. 8)
You like looking at boobs? You're a young and ultra intelligent bloke with lots of life-force....of course you like looking at boobs!!!

Now what is puzzling is that I am not supposed to have any libido. But I like a certain British Actor called Sean Bean. He once played Mellors the Gardener in a BBC production of 'Lady Chatterley's Lover'. Phrooor!! This week I saw him in one of a series of plays on TV, called 'The Accused' - He played a transvestite. He is so butch looking. He is famous for playing 'Sharp' in the Bernard Cornwall Series of historical/military novels. In this play, he played a transvestite, and I can't stop thinking about him.....What's wrong with me? Well, I don't care. I'm glad. It's the life-force, and I've still got a libido. Hurrah!!!!!!! :lol:
***** Well, yeah - I'm old enough to be over all that too, but I'll tell ya what ... George Harrison can leave his shoes under my bed any time.

:wink:
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

denisecummins wrote:By the way, my profile still says "creative writing student". Anyone have any idea how to change that? My user profile has accurate information, and I don't know where this "creative writing student" label is coming from. Thanks.
Ha ha! Look at Robert's title ... The Lord of Replies.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
Interbane wrote:

I just reached the point where he mentions blood glucose levels correlate to how much executive control is allocated to difficult functions.
Does that mean that type2 diabetes sufferers are more stupid? :o
Ohhhh ... I have diabetes II ... if this is so, then I now have an excuse for everything. Instead of them saying - Carly! I expected more of you!

They can now say - Well, what can I expect ...

:lol:
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

I had let this thread slide. I'm going to re-read and respond. I feel ashamed!
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Thinking, Fast and Slow - by Daniel Kahneman”