• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

November & December 2012 Non-Fiction Book Selection

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Re: November & December 2012 Non-Fiction Book Selection

Unread post

Karen's book sounds really interesting as well.
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Sorry for all the individual messages, but there were also some good suggestions made the last time that we were looking for non-fiction books to read that didn't get voted on. One about the media and one about evil I remember thinking they both looked interesting.
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Last time, I swear. The info on the two books I mentioned that were suggested in the October list.

Susan Heiman's "Evil in Modern Thought: an alternative history of philosophy"
http://www.amazon.com/Evil-Modern-Thoug ... ght+neiman
*In looking at this one on Amazon it might be a tad pricey if you didn't get it used or find it at the library.

Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator
http://www.amazon.com/Trust-Me-Lying-Co ... %27m+lying
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

http://www.amazon.com/Stein-Writing-Suc ... 0312254210

This is the book I'm listening to currently. It's fantastic for anyone wanting to write fiction or nonfiction. I bought it thinking that a portion would be helpful and pertinent, and a portion would be worth skipping. But there is none I'd skip. The entire book is useful and empowering. He anchors many ambiguous concepts on key words - "hooks, engine, immediate scene" and gives examples to flesh out the definitions of those concepts, and how you use the elements to build a story.

It's more specialized, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I think we'll have to keep this discussion going and try to start the next non-fiction book on December 1st not November 1st. We have about 9 suggestions but few had any feedback from people other than the person making the suggestion.

Keep the suggestions and feedback on suggestions coming!
:-)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I'm going to go through the new releases and bestsellers on Amazon.com and fill in the blank space we have in this thread. That was we can get a non-fiction poll up soon for a non-fiction discussion that starts Dec. 1st.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

This is kind of random, but here's a book I was planning to read. It was recommended by Sam Harris.

Buddhism Without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening
http://www.amazon.com/Buddhism-Without- ... ut+beliefs
In this simple but important volume, Stephen Batchelor reminds us that the Buddha was not a mystic who claimed privileged, esoteric knowledge of the universe, but a man who challenged us to understand the nature of anguish, let go of its origins, and bring into being a way of life that is available to us all. What the Buddha taught, says Batchelor, is not something to believe in but something to do—and as he explains clearly and compellingly, it is a practice that we can engage in, regardless of our background or beliefs, as we live every day on the path to awakening.
"Buddhism Without Beliefs is the kind of finely written primer about the concepts of Buddhism that even a heathen like me can appreciate and understand. For the non-Buddhist, or the aspiring Buddhist, it will be of much assistance. Filled with compassion, lucidly written, this is a book that explains much about an ancient, ever-living philosophy that has much to offer the stunned searchers of truth in our chaotic age of modernity."—Oscar Hijuelos, author of Mr. Ives' Christmas and The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I would like to suggest "Killing Lincoln" by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Dugard. Now I am not a big fan of O'Reilly, but I was asked to read and review this for our local Friends of the Library group. I am about half way through, and am pleasantly surprised. It is not a heavy academic treatise; rather they authors seem to be trying to make it read like a thriller. But so far it is an easy read, and the facts are stratight.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

This is a great suggestion, Cattleman. I've been tempted to get a copy myself. O'Reilly pisses me off with his aggressive stance towards atheism but I do like much of what he says on his show. I've wondered about this book for a while now. Great reviews and now you're endorsing it.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

So many actual historians out there, why would you want to read Bill O'Reilly? The guy is an anti-intellectual.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”