• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

What is the most disturbing book you've ever read

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Olivia22
Freshman

What is the most disturbing book you've ever read

Unread post

For me it would probably be the "Flowers in the Attic" series by V.C. Andrew. That whole series was extremely disturbing.

I also really hate what I call "what may come..." books. You know like "1984" by George Orwell,
"Brave New World" by Aulous Huxley, and even to a certain extent "The Hunger Games" Trilogy by Suzanne Collins.
MaryLupin

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Re: What is the most disturbing book you've ever read

Unread post

I find a number of books disturbing but in different ways. Olivia, I guess I want to know why you find each of the books you mentioned disturbing. (Feel free to ignore the request if you don't feel like answering.)

For me, when a book, study or paper is intellectually disturbing is because it has upset some bit of understanding I had. It forces me to reexamine what I think I know in the light of new evidence. I do find it disturbing but also enlivening. I like the reminder that there is always more to understand, and that even the things I think are most certain are open to new evidence. Other books disturb me emotionally. Books that cause me to feel something like disgust, I tend to examine very closely. I don't immerse myself in feelings like that easily. There has to be a bloody good reason (something important to learn) for me to willingly put myself in the way of disgust or feelings like that.
I've always found it rather exciting to remember that there is a difference between what we experience and what we think it means.
vanessa40
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I remember reading that series. Even though i did find Flowers In The Attic is bit dark i did enjoy it. Did you see the movie?
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

MaryLupin wrote:I find a number of books disturbing but in different ways. Olivia, I guess I want to know why you find each of the books you mentioned disturbing. (Feel free to ignore the request if you don't feel like answering.) .
I don't mind answering : )

"The Flowers in the Attic" books were disturbing for many different reasons. First, the treatment of the kids in the first book. That was terrible. Another reason, and this was a big one for me, the incestuous relationship between brother and sister.

The "what may come..." books are disturbing because it's scary to think that these author's idea's are what the world could really turn into. Reading "1984" now is really eery.

Vanessa I haven't seen the movie yet.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Wow, Mary it is so great to see you again! You have been missed!
Ban me now
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

The Painted Bird hands down. I was more disturbed when I found it was a true story
"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.” Stephen King
Kevin
Pulitzer Prize Finalist

Unread post

Crime and Punishment. I think Raskolnikov was more right than I should.
The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer? - Jeremy Bentham
thebookwheel
Master Debater

Unread post

Helter Skelter immediately comes to mind!
The Book Wheel
www.thebookwheelblog.com
Books, Politics, + More!
Lukewarmth
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Off the top of my head probably Lolita and American Psycho both for obvious reasons (that's if you've read them of course!). I've never heard of The Painted Bird, what is it about?
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

I am very surprised that no one has said, "The Bible."

Perhaps not many of you have read it. Anyone who does SHOULD be disturbed by it.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.

Return to “Everything Else”