• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; chapters 1-5

#112: Oct. - Dec. 2012 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; chapters 1-5

Unread post

THE HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
Douglas Adams

Chapters 1-5
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy; chapters 1-5

Unread post

With regard to Mr. Prosser being a direct descendant of Ghengis Khan; Douglas Adams uses a similar comic theme in a later book.

“And as he drove on, the rainclouds dragged down the sky after him, for, though he did not know it, Rob McKenna was a Rain God. All he knew was that his working days were miserable and he had a succession of lousy holidays. All the clouds knew was that they loved him and wanted to be near him, to cherish him, and to water him.”

― Douglas Adams, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

I absolutely love this passage and it is yet another example of how we can use this humour to lighten our lives....and see the funny side of certain trying situations/people. :)
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

That's a great quote Penny and does parallel nicely with Mr. Prosser. Another connection I see is that in some Monty Python animations, the clouds grew legs and voices and were generally personified, similar to this Adams quote.

Reading this quote also triggered a thought I had about Arthur Dent. Reflecting on the first few chapters, I'm wondering if Adams wants us to see Arthur Dent as a 'loser' who is suddenly thrust into great and catastrophic events? I just can't help feeling this way about Dent, but in a sympathetic sort of way. Also, he seems an unlikely adventurer and this reminds me of Frodo Baggins and the other Hobbits.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I think we all identify with Arthur Dent as all he seems to want is a bit of peace, he doesn't want to be rich or famous, but he is swept along regardless along with Ford Prefect, who at least has some inkling of what's going on.

I think Arthur is funny because instead of being terrified, he seems rather to have gone beyond fear and is merely exasperated by all the upheaval.

He's all 'ruffled feathers' rather than paralysed with fear. Love it!!
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Penelope wrote: He's all 'ruffled feathers' rather than paralysed with fear. Love it!!
Yes I think this is an endearing characteristic of Arthur Dent. He is 'ruffled feathers' or seems more bothered that people (aliens) are disturbing his routine than anything else. Also, I think he is used to events happening around him over which he has no control so this is not much different. When the bulldozers are outside his house and he wanders about muttering and brushing his teeth (albeit in a hungover state), I get the feeling he is more bothered than anything. When he does take action, its silly and ineffectual and he ends up drinking at the pub rather than protecting his house.

Rather a lot happens in the first few chapters. I don't know how many other books have been written where the planet earth is vapourized just after the story begins. Not just destroyed but gone completely like it never existed. I really like the Vogon attitude of 'oh come on, you were advised well in advance so don't pretend you didn't know' just before they vapourize the earth. A good satirical shot at big business and government and I think a quite accurate depiction of a common enough attitude, just slightly exaggerated for effect.

The parallel and simultaneous events of the destruction of Arthur's house and the destruction of the earth for exactly the same reason (on different scales of course) suggests to me that Adams wants us to think about relative perspectives; on the one hand as humans on earth where we feel important and that our affairs matter and on the other hand as a minor species on a small planet in a vast, indifferent Universe where our affairs don't matter. I think Adams does a good job of juxtaposing these two perspectives. I see traces of his atheism here.
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

I finally started reading this. It's been sitting on my kitchen table untouched for 2 weeks. Lol.

I'm having trouble getting into it. The characters are interesting but I find the story a little odd.

Penelope I completely agree with you about Arthur Dent! He's great
giselle wrote: The parallel and simultaneous events of the destruction of Arthur's house and the destruction of the earth for exactly the same reason (on different scales of course) suggests to me that Adams wants us to think about relative perspectives; on the one hand as humans on earth where we feel important and that our affairs matter and on the other hand as a minor species on a small planet in a vast, indifferent Universe where our affairs don't matter. I think Adams does a good job of juxtaposing these two perspectives. I see traces of his atheism here.
That's an interesting thought. I would never have a thought of it that way but it's very true. I saw the traces of atheism as well.

I don't really have much to add to discussion right now. I think I need to read a few more chapters and gather my thoughts.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Olivia: I wonder if you will enjoy the book more if you hear the dialogue read, as it was first broadcast on BBC radio.

It is spoken in a deadpan manner, not really tongue-in-cheek. Try it and see if it helps to get you into the groove. 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjMqoLBIaek

Rafael Sabatini
giselle

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
Almost Awesome

Unread post

Olivia : thanks for joining the discussion and we look forward to your thoughts. To me, Hitchhiker's Guide is all about satire - Adams takes satirical pokes at religion (God), government, business, science fiction, environmentalism, and generally, at humanity's way of taking ourselves so seriously. And the satirical list goes on. A great deal comes under Adam's satirical microscope in a fairly short book.

And thanks for posting this link to the BBC broadcast, Penny. I think that's a really good suggestion. I will check it out. I can hear the BBC doing it in 'deadpan', much funnier that way. I am a fan of British humour and I think that deadpan fits in that context as well.
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

Thanks Penelope. I listened to a bit of it and it did make it easier for me to get into the story.

Giselle- I'm excited to join. This is the first book I've discussed on this forum. : ) I wanted to join in on Atlas Shrugged but I couldn't find a copy of the book anywhere.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I really think the humour doesn't work in an American accent.

You need to read it in a slightly pompous British tone of voice.

We, British, do tend to sound pompous, and we all of us love to see authority get a custard pie in the face. I think it's something to do with that. :wink:

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - by Douglas Adams”