• In total there are 36 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Did Jesus Exist - Bart Ehrman's new book

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Re: Did Jesus Exist - Bart Ehrman's new book

Unread post

youkrst wrote:excellent!

if only i lived a bit closer i could go to church with you. :D

but since i blasphemed the holy spirit i have only a lost eternity being tortured in hell to look forward to, though he is a merciful god, he is also just, and i only have myself to blame for my lack of faith... ohhh... hang on a minute ....

bible quote from Romans 9

14 Are we saying that God is unfair? Certainly not!
15 The Lord told Moses that he has pity and mercy on anyone he wants to.
16 Everything then depends on God’s mercy and not on what people want or do. 17 In the Scriptures the Lord says to Pharaoh of Egypt, “I let you become Pharaoh, so that I could show you my power and be praised by all people on earth.”
18 Everything depends on what God decides to do, and he can either have pity on people or make them stubborn.

God... you bastard, you made me stubborn :lol:

PS: love you jesus :)
You stubborn #$%^& :)

You're welcome to bring your blasphemous self to church with me anytime. It never hurts to shake up the old ladies...
Time Bandit
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

They would really be shook up if they knew they had been lied to the last 2000 years, the whole sheeple herd would stampede.
Doulos
Asleep in Reading Chair

Unread post

Time Bandit wrote:They would really be shook up if they knew they had been lied to the last 2000 years, the whole sheeple herd would stampede.
Of course they would.

Funny how many (not all of course) intelligent, well educated, questioning people investigate their faith, and become more devout. Almost as if they hadn't found a lie, but rather truth... :mrgreen:
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

^And what truth would that be Doulos? Lay it on us.
Time Bandit
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:^And what truth would that be Doulos? Lay it on us.
My guess is he cannot tell you and if he does he's going to claim the bible told him so. You gonna love that circular logic.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I haven't been watching this discussion but I do see that has grown quite large.

Someone help me here please. Are you guys discussing the actual book? If so I could put these this thread into a forum and announce this book as an official discussion book - maybe for October, November and December. The conversation has been going on for a while so I don't want to have a 90 day discussion period starting in November or December.

Any thoughts on this? If someone wants to be discussion leader and you like the idea please send me a PM. I might not check back and see follow-up comments right away.
tat tvam asi
Reading Addict

Unread post

Chris, Earl Doherty (who we've been linking to @ the Vridar blog) has just published an e-book refuting Ehrman's "Did Jesus Exist?" chapter by chapter.

Why don't we consider putting Doherty's book up for discussion? It's bound to run up page views. He takes Ehrman to task.

In this case, you really can judge a book by it's cover:

The End of an Illusion: How Bart Ehrman’s “Did Jesus Exist?” Has Laid the Case for an Historical Jesus to Rest
Time Bandit
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

tat tvam asi wrote:Chris, Earl Doherty (who we've been linking to @ the Vridar blog) has just published an e-book refuting Ehrman's "Did Jesus Exist?" chapter by chapter.

Why don't we consider putting Doherty's book up for discussion? It's bound to run up page views. He takes Ehrman to task.

In this case, you really can judge a book by it's cover:

The End of an Illusion: How Bart Ehrman’s “Did Jesus Exist?” Has Laid the Case for an Historical Jesus to Rest
Great idea! Like it. Thanks for the link to the book I had no idea Doherty had written that.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

As discussion in this thread shows, Bart Ehrman's book is worthless as a scholarly contribution, and should not be dignified with any respect. However, it is politically important as an extended effort by a leading Biblical scholar to refute the hypothesis that Jesus Christ is a myth. Ehrman totally embarrasses himself, failing to understand or engage with the material he writes about, and diminishing the good reputation he had earned from earlier works on forgery in Christian tradition.

Most people who are interested in discussing Jesus are rusted-on Jesus believers, and their faith virus has made them incapable of distinguishing between evidence and lies. Some fundamentalists are so brazen in their irrationality that they assert that Ehrman has refuted mythicism, without any regard to content or logic. Earl Doherty applies the basic standards of evidence to this topic, showing that the dogma of the Gospels as history is baseless by any rigorous standards of scholarship.

Earl Doherty proves that Bart Ehrman's defence of the historical Jesus is incompetent and wrong. Jesus Christ did not exist. For readers who want a good understanding of the real evidence for the historical Jesus (ie there is none), Earl Doherty is among the most informed, logical, honest and persuasive scholars writing today.

Earl Doherty's great book Jesus Neither God Nor Man, building on his earlier The Jesus Puzzle, sets out the evidence in forensic detail, showing the trail of obvious clues for the construction of the myth of Jesus. His new book rebutting Ehrman was presented in instalments on the blog Vridar, and provides an accessible popular introduction to the case of the missing Jesus.

Booktalk could encourage Earl Doherty to participate in discussion of his new book. I suspect he would welcome the invitation, as he actively participates in several internet discussion boards. Apart from the net he seems to be under an informal media ban from any public mention.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”