• In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading Carthage Must Be Destroyed

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
WouldBeAuthor
Getting Comfortable

Reading Carthage Must Be Destroyed

Unread post

I'm reading Carthage Must Be Destroyed by Richard Miles.

I'd call it an academic work (148 pages of notes and citations after 373 pages of the main text). The writting is smooth and compelling enough to make me want to read more.

Apparently, from what little can be gleaned from archaeological digs and the prejudices of ancient Greek and Roman historians, Carthage was highly influential in the ancient Mediterranean. Despite their importance, whatever written history they had is gone; A result of Roman victory and subsequent contempt.

Many Phoenician myths are presented. And maps. Cultural change over centuries is described relative to material evidence. Economics is used as the primary explanation for cultural change.

It's been good for the first hundred pages, so I'm going to see it through to the end.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Reading Carthage Must Be Destroyed

Unread post

I have that book and haven't read it yet. I'd read it with you but I've already started another. I'm glad to hear it's good so far! :)
WouldBeAuthor
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I've finished. The quality is just as good all the way to the end. The last section speaks to Carthaginian influence on Roman culture.

Beware Carthaginian names! For centuries, their culture recycled the same short list of names. It can be difficult to keep in mind which Hasdrubal or Hanno is being discussed.
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Unread post

Awesome. Anything to do with the Barcid is awesome. Can you imagine having your brothers head rolled into your camp while you're eagerly waiting his arrival, having defeated Rome a number of times? Too bad Carthage didn't support Hannibal more - he could have brought down Rome and very nearly did all by himself.

Can't wait to read it!!!

I'll do so after Atlas Shrugged.

Return to “What are you currently reading?”