• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History

Unread post

I'm thoroughly enjoying Chris Kyle's story of what it was like to be a sniper right in the heat of battle. Is anyone else reading this one?
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History

Unread post

Sounds cool. I always like watching and reading about elite military training. It inspires me to get off my butt and do a little exercise. I read a good book about Navy Seal training called The Warrior Elite.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in U.S. Military History

Unread post

There seem to be quite a few books about Navy SEALS out right now. With SEAL Team 6 taking out Osama Bin Laden, and Chris Kyle's successes with SEAL Team 3, the world is now getting a glimpse into this elite group of warriors. I'm glad they're on our side.

"The Warrior Elite" was written by Dick Couch and Chris mentions him in "American Sniper." This is why I love my Kindle so much. I just searched for "Dick Couch" and easily found what Chris said about his encounter with him. I'll share it here....
But being in the modern world, people were interested in knowing about SEALs. After we got back, command called us together for a briefing so we could tell a famous author and former SEAL what had happened in battle. The author was Dick Couch.

The funny thing was, he started out not by listening but by talking.

Not even talking. Mr. Couch came and lectured us about how wrong-headed we were.

I have a lot of respect for Mr. Couch's service during the Vietnam War, where he served with Navy Underwater Demolition and SEAL Teams. I honor and respect him greatly for that. But a few of the things he said that day didn't sit all that well with me.

He got up in front of the room and started telling us that we were doing things all wrong. He told us we should be winning their hearts and minds instead of killing them.

"SEALs should be more SF-like," he claimed, referring (I guess) to one of Special Forces' traditional missions of training indigenous people.

Last time I checked, they think it's okay to shoot people who shoot at you, but maybe that's beside the point.

I was sitting there getting furious. So was the entire team, though they all kept their mouths shut. He finally asked for comments.

My hand shot up.

I made a few disparaging remarks about what I thought we might do to the country, then I got serious.

"They only started coming to the peace table after we killed enough of the savages out there," I told him. "That was the key."

I may have used some other colorful phrases as I discussed what was really going on out there. We had a bit of a back-and-forth before my head shed signaled that I ought to leave the room. I was glad to comply.

Afterward, my CO and command chief were furious with me. But they couldn't do much, because they knew I was right.

Mr. Couch wanted to interview me later on. I was reluctant. Command wanted me to answer his questions. Even my chief sat me down and talked to me.

So I did. Yup, nope. That was the interview.

In fairness, from what I've heard his book is not quite as negative as I understood his lecture to be. So maybe a few of my fellow SEALs did have some influence on him.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Interesting, I wouldn't take either of their foreign policy opinions that seriously, but Dick Couch doesn't come across too well.

Still, the book I mentioned is all about the training, it's quite amazing what those guys go through. Check out the 6-part BUD/S documentary on YouTube too.

I might get around to American Sniper one of these days, but probably not right now.
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I have never really read as many books about recent American military history, but I just finished Until Tuesday by former Captain Luis Carlos Montalvan with Bret Witter. Montalvan served in Iraq and the book touches on his tours of duty but also deals with the issues veterans have when they come back from war such as PTSD, the poor healthcare they receive from the VA, etc. But then it tells how Montalvan with the help of a trained service dog regains control of his life and health. It is a fantastic book, not just telling about the Iraq war from a soldier's perspective but also about the incredible amount of effort and time that it takes to train service dogs and how much of a difference they can make. I also found Montalvan's description of the VA and healthcare services he received after returning to the US to be enlightening but also saddening and it being another example of how the US government operates ineffectively. Great book though, particurlarly if you like dogs. My husband typically doesn't read books and he's even reading it :)

Return to “What are you currently reading?”