• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 836 on Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:57 pm

Moby Dick Chapter 5 Breakfast of Champions

#106: Mar. - May 2012 (Fiction)
heledd
Doctorate

Re: Moby Dick Chapter 5 Breakfast of Champions

Unread post

Yes I am but have got completely lost as to where I am. With no electric, the battery on the Kindle goes, and although I have made notes, they are completely disorganised and in several different places. I think I'll just read the chapters as they are discussed, because I got quite far into the book. I love the picture of Quequeg spearing the steak
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

heledd wrote:

With no electric, the battery on the Kindle goes, and although I have made notes, they are completely disorganised and in several different places. I think I'll just read the chapters as they are discussed, because I got quite far into the book. I love the picture of Quequeg spearing the steak
I'm muddled too. Reading the book, reading the posts and not quite knowing what or if I can contribute. But I do like to think of you out there Heledd, and of sharing the impact of the book with one another in our very diverse circumstances.

What I am trying to say is:- I think it is a privilidge to share thoughts with you....so, let us persevere.....please dear Heledd and Saffron.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Penelope wrote:
heledd wrote:

With no electric, the battery on the Kindle goes, and although I have made notes, they are completely disorganised and in several different places. I think I'll just read the chapters as they are discussed, because I got quite far into the book. I love the picture of Quequeg spearing the steak
I'm muddled too. Reading the book, reading the posts and not quite knowing what or if I can contribute. But I do like to think of you out there Heledd, and of sharing the impact of the book with one another in our very diverse circumstances.

What I am trying to say is:- I think it is a privilidge to share thoughts with you....so, let us persevere.....please dear Heledd and Saffron.
I think I know what you both mean. I am finding that discussing this book by chapters somehow diminishes the discussion. I think maybe discussing themes or characters or action would be better topics for discussion. And I agree, lets persevere!.
Chris27
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I've been keeping up chapter by chapter , enjoying the reading but having nothing to say (except that I keep wanting to say:Wow what wonderful writing! How does he do that? ).
So I'm glad others are struggling too!
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

Chris27 wrote:I've been keeping up chapter by chapter , enjoying the reading but having nothing to say (except that I keep wanting to say:Wow what wonderful writing! How does he do that? ).
The writing is wonderful, some of the best!
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Saffron wrote:
Chris27 wrote:I've been keeping up chapter by chapter , enjoying the reading but having nothing to say (except that I keep wanting to say:Wow what wonderful writing! How does he do that? ).
The writing is wonderful, some of the best!
Yes, the writing is great. But why do I feel a certain lassitude on contemplating reading Moby Dick? Is what Samuel Johnson said of Paradise Lost also true of MD: "Nobody has wished it longer?"
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I like that word ... skylarking. Sounds so much better than just plain 'bullshitting'.

;-)

Return to “Moby Dick; or, the Whale - by Herman Melville”