• In total there are 14 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Is It wrong to be biased when choosing books?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Durzo blint
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Is It wrong to be biased when choosing books?

Unread post

I've noticed that when I choose books I've always chosen male authors over women, I don't even know why :? Also I have a strong dislike towards books written in the 1st person POV....

Help :x
Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches to your body
George Carlin
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Is It wrong to be biased when choosing books?

Unread post

Personally, I think you are doing yourself a great disservice. You are eliminating virtually half the authors out there, and missing some great works. You say you like science fiction? Well, by passing up female writers, you are missing Ursula Le Guinn, Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth Moon, and many others.

As far as avoiding first person, again you are missing out on some great writing. For example, have you ever read "Flowers for Algernon"? Excellent science fiction, and written in first person.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
Durzo blint

Unread post

I know! that's why I plan on keeping an open mind towards female authors
Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches to your body
George Carlin
Casey2012
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Not really sure. Great help, right? I found a few years ago that I was drifting to women authors, at least for mysteries. And I have always been fascinated by women rulers of the past; most long, long ago!!! I guess it is because these were tough times for women and I am interested to see the kind of woman who could rule in this environment.

After I took a look at my current draw to women authors I guess I determined that it was really the book itself and not the author. It is embarassing to note, but for years I thought Ellis Peters was a guy!!! Loved her work though. And of course when the first mysteries were being published quite a few women had to use male pseudonyms.

Again, isn't that helpful? I am sure there is a much more complex and thought-provoking answer and you will probably get one or two of them from other members.
Durzo blint

Unread post

Ok well I lied...I have read all of 'The Gears of war' novels written by Karren Traviss
George Carlin
Casey2012
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Thanks for the George Carlin quote. He is one of my favorite comedians and was a real loss. I really enjoyed his "stuff" routine and could totally relate as I had stuff in about 15 locations!!! It made me realize how unimportant all this crap (hope I can use that word) is. While his routines were hilarious, they were also very, very serious. I don't think there will ever be another like him.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

Is it a bias or a preference? I don't believe I have a bias towards women authors. I enjoy Atwood, Oates, Le Guin and others, however I prefer male authors. I prefer the writing style of Philp Roth to any woman author I have read. My top five favorite novels have all been written by men. The Russian,German and French male authors have written novels, in my opinion that provide substance and subject matter that I love to read over women authors. So for me it is not about bias, it is about personal taste and preference.

Return to “Everything Else”