• In total there are 29 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 29 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

WANTED: Book Suggestions for our Sept., Oct. and Nov. NON-FICTION discussion!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: WANTED: Book Suggestions for our Sept., Oct. and Nov. NON-FICTION discussion!

Unread post

An author just bought an ad with BookTalk.org for his book, "Fixing the Engine of Justice: Diagnosis and Repair of Our Jury System." I've never done this before but I can't help but think this one would make for an interesting discussion. If you've ever been called to do jury duty you probably have seen first-hand the flaws in the system.

I'm going to add this book to the suggestion list here and would appreciate some feedback from you guys. Would this make for a good discussion? I'm not adding this to the suggestions here because he's buying an ad. I'm adding it because the book sounds really good. In fact the author doesn't even know I'm adding this to the mix.

Fixing The Engine Of Justice: Diagnosis and Repair Of Our Jury System
It has been many years since O. J. Simpson walked free from a downtown Los Angeles courtroom. For many, it was the demolition of the fundamental principle of right and wrong, and many debated the deficiencies of the American justice system. Since then, we have witnessed the Casey Anthony case, and others, that remind us of issues unaddressed and questions unanswered. In Fixing the Engine of Justice¸ author David Tunno presents the symptoms of a defective jury system and offers comprehensive, intelligent, and thought-provoking solutions. Tunno, a trial consultant for more than twenty years, has studied and researched key trials and has gleaned stories from his personal experiences to show a system beset with representation issues, incompetence, bias, misconduct, and lack of support and public perception based on misconceptions. He analyzes the flaws in the jury selection process, its lack of effectiveness, and the ways in which it contributes to the delivery of justice. Often humorous and irreverent, Fixing the Engine of Justice offers a diagnosis of the problems and a list of needed repairs to the American legal system. With the prime focus on juries, Tunno also takes aim at judges, attorneys, and other issues relevant to the health of the system.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Re: WANTED: Book Suggestions for our Sept., Oct. and Nov. NON-FICTION discussion!

Unread post

heledd wrote:I'm with you, Penny and Robert. I just downloaded it. Was only £5.49. Isn't technology brill!!
I ordered the book from Amazon yesterday. It looks like no mater what gets picked for Sept. there will be a group of us reading Fast and Slow (ha,ha,ha..).
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

We can bypass the poll since we already have 4 people (5 including me) that want to read and discuss Thinking, Fast and Slow. Let's consider that our next Non-Fiction book. I'll announce it on the Home page and get the forum created soon. :-)
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

I know the next fiction book has been posted, but Fixing the Jury System that Chris mentioned also sounds like one to keep in mind for the future.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

Well, that was certainly quick and painless! That's the way to do it. I'll go ahead and order my copy.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I have my copy and have started reading. :)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

"Thinking, Fast and Slow" has now been announced as our next Non-Fiction book discussion. I'll lock this and go check out the Fiction Forum to see if everyone has decided on "Atlas Shrugged" as the Fiction book for discussion. :-)

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”