• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

WANTED: Book Suggestions for our Sept., Oct. and Nov. NON-FICTION discussion!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Re: WANTED: Book Suggestions for our Sept., Oct. and Nov. NON-FICTION discussion!

Unread post

I would be interested in reading "Thinking Fast and Slow".
heledd
Doctorate

Re: WANTED: Book Suggestions for our Sept., Oct. and Nov. NON-FICTION discussion!

Unread post

I'd like to resubmit 'Muhammed' by Karen Armstong.
I did enjoy this book, and read it more as history, but it does give an insight to the times he lived in, and the errors caused in the name of Islam. Even if you are anti Islam it's a good read

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Muhammad-Prophe ... gital-text

'Loved reading this book, it is interesting unlike some of the books around on Islam. Karen Armstrong seems to have grasped the concept of an interesting history book which is concise and insightful. I would recommend this book for anyone who wants to learn about the Muslim prophet.'
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I have no idea how you select the book chosen, but I do know that I cannot remember you ever having a female author...tut..tut...

Anyway, I would like to suggest:-

The Pattern in the Carpet by Margaret Drabble - A personal history with jigsaws...It is a unique and moving personal history of remembrance and growing older; about the importance of childhood play; and how we rearrange objects into new patterns both to make sense of our past and to ornament our present.

Among her many gifts is the ability to spotlight the apparently merely topical, and find there, something universal. Like all good writers, she is in search of truth.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Penny, we have had 17 female authors. All of our past books can be found at http://www.booktalk.org/books.html :)
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I was referring to the Non-Fiction discussions but I can see from perusing the past books that there have been a very few female writers. I'm not really complaining, because it is always very 'blokey' on here and it would be odd if there were lots of authoresses.

Alain de Botton's - Religion for Atheists is receiving a lot of attention. I have thought I'd like to read it just so that I could know whether or not I agree with the reviews. :wink:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

The trend I have found is that fiction draws in women more than non-fiction.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris wrote:

The trend I have found is that fiction draws in women more than non-fiction.
Yes, we like a bit of escapism, I think. Still, we should be encouraged to read what we would not otherwise attempt, so thanks.

I am using the Royal 'we' here. :D

Rafael Sabatini
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Saffron wrote:5. Kahneman, Daniel. "Thinking, Fast and Slow." Farrar, Strauss, Giroux.
Entertaining look at the complexities and oddities that characterize our mental processes from the only psychologist ever to have won the Nobel Prize for Economics.
This is the one I would most like to read next.

Audio
Guardian Review http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/de ... l-kahneman
Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow
Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Fast-Slo ... 0374275637
Easterly http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/15bb6522 ... z23aKqBnPb
Thinking, Fast and Slow
Review by William Easterly

Why even experts must rely on intuition and often get it wrong. There have been many good books on human rationality and irrationality, but only one masterpiece. That masterpiece is Daniel Kahneman’s Thinking, Fast and Slow. Kahneman, a winner of the Nobel Prize for economics, distils a lifetime of research into an encyclopedic coverage of both the surprising miracles and the equally surprising mistakes of our conscious and unconscious thinking. He achieves an even greater miracle by weaving his insights into an engaging narrative that is compulsively readable from beginning to end. My main problem in doing this review was preventing family members and friends from stealing my copy of the book to read it for themselves. more...
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

He achieves an even greater miracle by weaving his insights into an engaging narrative that is compulsively readable from beginning to end.
Right, I'm intrigued and I'm going to read it either way.....It sounds as though it is right up my garden path! :)

PS - and I like his face!! http://science-society.com/files/2012/0 ... anA043.jpg

Rafael Sabatini
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I'm with you, Penny and Robert. I just downloaded it. Was only £5.49. Isn't technology brill!!
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”