• In total there are 17 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

New Television Series

Engage in discussions about your favorite movies, TV series, music, sports, comedy, cultural events, and diverse entertainment topics in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

New Television Series

Unread post

While watching the Olympics (I admit it, I am an Olympics junkie :blush: ) I caught the trailers for a new NBC series - Revolution. It appears to be largely based on "The Hunger Games" concept, (Heroine is a teenaged girl who is proficient with the bow and arrow), but reminded me to a couple of sci-fi stories; one I read long ago - Fredric Brown's "The Waveries"; the other S. M. Stirlig's "Dies the Fire" and its sequels. Both stories involve the sudden loss of electricity (and in Stirling's books, almost all modern technology, even gunpowder won't explode any longer). If you like dystopian sci-fi, you might enjoy this one. :| However, the cynic and critic in me remember's Fox's "Terra Nova" which started okay, but soon degenerated into predictability. :(
Last edited by Cattleman on Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: New Television Series

Unread post

i saw the previews for it.

The science geek in me won't let me get into it. Not unless there is a very creative reason why electricity doesn't work.

Electricity is a small function of the electromagnetic force... which is the same force which allows for chemical bonds, and fire, and why your electrons are attracted to your protons.

Electromagnetism is NEARLY all that you have ever had any direct experience with. If they just say electricity doesn't work anymore, that is just too much for me. I will be stifling comments every time somebody says, oh man, my flashlight won't work... cuz lectrics don't work and i'd spend as much time slapping my forhead as i would identifying with characters.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

You've just given me another reason NOT to watch it. :lol:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

yeah, it's a hard sell for me.

If they mean to say that no matter what you do, you can't generate an electric field, that electricity just doesn't work on our planet anymore, then that means there's soemthing wrong about the electric repulsion of electrons.

If that's that's what's wrong then we would probably fall through the floor into the center of the earth, since our atoms are not repelling eachother anymore. In fact, i think it means that the earth would collapse into a black hole.

Electrons would leave the nuclei of atoms, protons everywhere would glob together, unrestricted by the repulsive electrical force of the like poles of other protons into a single nucleus.

So if the problem is that electricity doesn't work, then the result isn't "oh no, we have to farm with rakes now".

Maybe they could do it where there's some kind of strange activity on the sun which is blasting us with a steady stream of EMP. That might work. There would be ways around it, but it wouldn't be easy to get the grid running again. And if that WERE the problem in the show, then i don't know how they could fix it with the knowledge on a USB stick in somebody's necklace.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
literatureuniverse
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

:D I've watched the first episode but haven't watched the others. I want to get into it but I can't, it does seem like a good show, but can't get into it. 8)

Return to “Arts & Entertainment”