• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

WANTED: Book Suggestions for our Sept., Oct. and Nov. NON-FICTION discussion!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

WANTED: Book Suggestions for our Sept., Oct. and Nov. NON-FICTION discussion!

Unread post

What NON-FICTION book would you like to discuss during the months of September, October and November?

RULES:
1. Only make suggestions if you have 10 or more posts on our forums.
2. Only make suggestions if you plan to participate in the discussion.
3. Provide the title, author, description and any personal notes about why you are suggesting the book.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: WANTED: Book Suggestions for our Sept., Oct. and Nov. NON-FICTION discussion!

Unread post

Looks like an interesting read for anyone who follows the news:

Trust Me, I'm Lying: Confessions of a Media Manipulator
http://www.amazon.com/Trust-Me-Lying-Co ... t+me+lying
You’ve seen it all before. A malicious online rumor costs a company millions. A political sideshow derails the national news cycle and destroys a candidate. Some product or celebrity zooms from total obscurity to viral sensation. What you don’t know is that someone is responsible for all this. Usually, someone like me.

I’m a media manipulator. In a world where blogs control and distort the news, my job is to control blogs—as much as any one person can.

In today’s culture…
1) Blogs like Gawker, Buzzfeed and the Huffington Post drive the media agenda.
2) Bloggers are slaves to money, technology, and deadlines.
3) Manipulators wield these levers to shape everything you read, see and watch—online and off.

Why am I giving away these secrets? Because I'm tired of a world where blogs take indirect bribes, marketers help write the news, reckless journalists spread lies, and no one is accountable for any of it. I'm pulling back the curtain because I don't want anyone else to get blindsided.

I’m going to explain exactly how the media really works. What you choose to do with this information is up to you.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: WANTED: Book Suggestions for our Sept., Oct. and Nov. NON-FICTION discussion!

Unread post

And now for something a little different....

Escape
Carolyn Jessop and Laura Palmer

When I was 12 and 13 years old I lived in a Mormon foster home in Ashtabula, OH. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints gave up the practice of polygamy long ago but a small group of fundamentalists still practice it to this day. My foster family obviously wasn't a polygamist family but I do still have an affinity and strong interest in this religion/cult. You've heard of Warren Jeffs I'm sure. Read the below book description and please let me know if this sounds like an interesting book. There are over 450 reviews on Amazon.com with 4.5 stars as the average.
The dramatic first-person account of life inside an ultra-fundamentalist American religious sect, and one woman’s courageous flight to freedom with her eight children.

When she was eighteen years old, Carolyn Jessop was coerced into an arranged marriage with a total stranger: a man thirty-two years her senior. Merril Jessop already had three wives. But arranged plural marriages were an integral part of Carolyn’s heritage: She was born into and raised in the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS), the radical offshoot of the Mormon Church that had settled in small communities along the Arizona-Utah border. Over the next fifteen years, Carolyn had eight children and withstood her husband’s psychological abuse and the watchful eyes of his other wives who were locked in a constant battle for supremacy.

Carolyn’s every move was dictated by her husband’s whims. He decided where she lived and how her children would be treated. He controlled the money she earned as a school teacher. He chose when they had sex; Carolyn could only refuse—at her peril. For in the FLDS, a wife’s compliance with her husband determined how much status both she and her children held in the family. Carolyn was miserable for years and wanted out, but she knew that if she tried to leave and got caught, her children would be taken away from her. No woman in the country had ever escaped from the FLDS and managed to get her children out, too. But in 2003, Carolyn chose freedom over fear and fled her home with her eight children. She had $20 to her name.

Escape exposes a world tantamount to a prison camp, created by religious fanatics who, in the name of God, deprive their followers the right to make choices, force women to be totally subservient to men, and brainwash children in church-run schools. Against this background, Carolyn Jessop’s flight takes on an extraordinary, inspiring power. Not only did she manage a daring escape from a brutal environment, she became the first woman ever granted full custody of her children in a contested suit involving the FLDS. And in 2006, her reports to the Utah attorney general on church abuses formed a crucial part of the case that led to the arrest of their notorious leader, Warren Jeffs.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

And one to "combine" the above two suggestions :)

Susan Heiman's "Evil in Modern Thought: an alternative history of philosophy".
From Amazon:

Evil threatens human reason, for it challenges our hope that the world makes sense. For eighteenth-century Europeans, the Lisbon earthquake was manifest evil. Today we view evil as a matter of human cruelty, and Auschwitz as its extreme incarnation. Examining our understanding of evil from the Inquisition to contemporary terrorism, Susan Neiman explores who we have become in the three centuries that separate us from the early Enlightenment. In the process, she rewrites the history of modern thought and points philosophy back to the questions that originally animated it.

Whether expressed in theological or secular terms, evil poses a problem about the world's intelligibility. It confronts philosophy with fundamental questions: Can there be meaning in a world where innocents suffer? Can belief in divine power or human progress survive a cataloging of evil? Is evil profound or banal? Neiman argues that these questions impelled modern philosophy. Traditional philosophers from Leibniz to Hegel sought to defend the Creator of a world containing evil. Inevitably, their efforts--combined with those of more literary figures like Pope, Voltaire, and the Marquis de Sade--eroded belief in God's benevolence, power, and relevance, until Nietzsche claimed He had been murdered. They also yielded the distinction between natural and moral evil that we now take for granted. Neiman turns to consider philosophy's response to the Holocaust as a final moral evil, concluding that two basic stances run through modern thought. One, from Rousseau to Arendt, insists that morality demands we make evil intelligible. The other, from Voltaire to Adorno, insists that morality demands that we don't.

Beautifully written and thoroughly engaging, this book tells the history of modern philosophy as an attempt to come to terms with evil. It reintroduces philosophy to anyone interested in questions of life and death, good and evil, suffering and sense.

Apologies for being offline but was without internet access again. And seriously, Both of the suggestions would be highly interesting reading.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I'm confused as to what happened to our July?August suggestions. Can we resubmit?
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
GaryG48
Sophomore

Unread post

Oblivion's discription of "Evil in Modern Thought" makes me want to read this book. I hope we can find a space for it here.
--Gary

"Freedom is feeling easy in your harness" --Robert Frost
sal10e
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Heiman's "Evil in Modern Thought" and "Trust Me, I'm Lying" both sound interesting, but I'm curious to see what other books will be suggested.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

heledd, we create a new suggestion thread for every new discussion period. So the suggestion thread for previous discussion periods still exists but is buried down lower in this forum. That thread only was used for figuring out the last book. The suggestions in it do not automatically carry over to new suggestion threads. The people that suggest books come and go over time. We ask for new suggestions each time because we want suggestions only from currently active members that plan to participate. We don't dig through old suggestion threads because those suggestions might not be of interest anymore or the person who made them might not even be a member anymore.

So yes you can suggest non-fiction books that you have suggested in the past. You just need to do it again right here in this suggestion thread.
Saffron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I can has reading?
United States of America

Unread post

I'm going to do this a little bit wrong - I'm about to post 5 suggestions at once. They are all books I'd be very interested in discussing. One of the things I like about my list is that the books are quite different in content than what has been discussed over the past several months (with exception of #4 Hitchens). I think all of these books would lend to discussion, although maybe #3 not as much as the others. Do any of these books appeal to anyone? Looking at the list I can't even pick a first choice.

1. Barbara Ehrenreich. Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America. d Dimed reveals low-wage America in all its tenacity, anxiety, and surprising generosity -- a land of Big Boxes, fast food, and a thousand desperate strategies for survival. Instantly acclaimed for its insight, humor, and passion, this book is changing the way America perceives its working poor.

2. Gleick, James. "The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood."
This comprehensive study, a melodious interplay between science and literature, documents the transmission of human knowledge from the talking drums to the Internet.

3.Hillenbrand, Laura. "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption." Random House.
An Olympic runner's physical and inner strength is tested by the experience and aftermath of a plane crash, 42 days at sea and Japanese imprisonment.

4. Hitchens, Christopher. "Arguably: Essays." Twelve.
Polymath and public intellectual displays his considerable range and biting wit in these thoughtful, incisive pieces that provoke and challenge.

5. Kahneman, Daniel. "Thinking, Fast and Slow." Farrar, Strauss, Giroux.
Entertaining look at the complexities and oddities that characterize our mental processes from the only psychologist ever to have won the Nobel Prize for Economics.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Good picks Saffron, I'd be particularly interested in Gleick and Kahneman.

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”