• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

The Top 500 Poems: 200-101

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: The Top 500 Poems: 200-101

Unread post

oblivion wrote:he "fluttered pulses" and "glittered when he walked".....fantastic, isn't it?
And "quietly arrayed" and "imperially slim"--good stuff.

The irony reveals a discrepancy between what appears to be true and what is actually true. This is from the townspeople's viewpoint. "We people on the pavement looked at him." And they see only Richard Cory's positive traits, his good looks, high manners, and knowledge that he is rich. They imagine he is happy and they would be happy if they could be like him. But in the very last line we discover that Richard Cory was in fact desperately unhappy. It baffles our expectations.

I do love Paul Simon's version in which the last chorus--I wish I could be like Richard Cory--is sung even after we find out that Richard Cory killed himself. Does he still wish he was like Richard Cory?
-Geo
Question everything
viajesen1
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I'm not very experienced in poetry, but for me this anthology was a good start. There's a plethora of content to work with, a lot of prose and structure to comprehend, and going through the entire volume was generally a satisfying experience for an unaffiliated person such as myself. However, this being an anthology, more specifically being limited to 500 poems, there will probably the inevitable lists of poems that were been left out, and the entire volume may be left uneven because of some of...more
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

viajesen1 wrote:I'm not very experienced in poetry, but for me this anthology was a good start. There's a plethora of content to work with, a lot of prose and structure to comprehend, and going through the entire volume was generally a satisfying experience for an unaffiliated person such as myself. However, this being an anthology, more specifically being limited to 500 poems, there will probably the inevitable lists of poems that were been left out, and the entire volume may be left uneven because of some of...more
If you managed to read all of these poems independently, I'm impressed. It was the group effort that got the rest of us through. Not that it's in any way a painful exercise, but it's just the discipline of sticking to it that some, such as I, find is in short supply. We did have many discussions about some blankety-blank poem that never should have made anyone's top 500 list. The method of selection the editor used was supposed to be somewhat scientific, not based on his own opinions but those of countless previous anthologizers.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I can't remember getting so angry at something so trivial. When a poem appeared that seemed opaque to me....I got really cross.

I sulked....in fact. :o
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”