Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 5:24 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
JULY, AUGUST & SEPTEMBER 2012 NON-FICTION BOOK POLL 

What NON-FICTION books would you like to read in July, August and September of 2012?
BOOK 1 - Ending of Time by Jiddu Krishnamurti and David Bohm 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
BOOK 2 - The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
BOOK 3 - The Cultural Nature of Human Development by Barbara Rogoff 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
BOOK 4 - A Life Gone Awry by Wayne Kernochan 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
BOOK 5 - On the Origins of War by Donald Kagan 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
BOOK 6 - Religion for Atheists by Alain De Botton 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
BOOK 7 - God's Jury by Cullen Murphy 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
BOOK 8 - God and the Folly of Faith by Victor J. Stenger 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
BOOK 9 - The Religious Beliefs of America's Founders by Gregg L. Frazer 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
BOOK 10 - Empire of the Summer Moon by S. C. Gwynne 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 34

Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

ONLY VOTE IF YOU PLAN TO PARTICIPATE
It is common sense that we only want people voting that are going to participate in the book discussion in the event one of their selected books wins. We're not doing a poll of which books you just happen to like or want to read one day off in the distant future. This poll is to select a book we can all read and discuss as a group over the course of the upcoming months so you have no business voting if you have no intention of actively discussing the book with us.

EVERYONE CAN VOTE NO MATTER HOW MANY FORUM POSTS
Everyone can vote no matter how many posts they have on the forums or how long they have been a member of BookTalk.org. If you're brand new with only 1 or 2 posts you are still welcome to vote but ONLY VOTE IF YOU PLAN TO PARTICIPATE.

VOTE FOR AS MANY BOOKS AS YOU LIKE
Each person can vote for as many books as they like. If you like every single book on the poll then select every single book. We're trying to find the book (or books) that interest the most people. The winning book(s) will be announced as group discussion book(s). So you may vote for as many as you feel you would actually read and discuss with us as a group. We may select more than one book in this poll.

CHANGE OR UPDATE YOUR VOTE AT ANY TIME DURING POLLING PERIOD
While the poll is up you are free to change your votes however you like. There are 10 books on this poll and to make an educated decision you will need to read the book descriptions of each book. This takes time so read a few now and cast your vote for them if you think you would enjoy discussing them. Then, a few days later, come back and research some more books. You can change your vote as much as you like up till the end of the polling period.

NO SCHEDULED END DATE TO THIS POLL
This poll doesn't have a scheduled end date. As votes come in we'll easily see which books have captured the most interest. As members you can see how many people have voted for each poll. As the administrator I can see this plus the names of each person that voted for each book. I'll make a judgment call on when to announce a winner (or winners) based on the volume of votes for the most popular books AND the activity level of the people that voted. All you need to do is research the books and select the ones you would like to talk about. I'll handle the rest. The poll is going up on Saturday, June 16th and will remain up at least 1 full week. Please vote now and do not wait for other people to vote.

POLL CHOICES:

BOOK 1 - Ending of Time by Jiddu Krishnamurti and David Bohm

BOOK 2 - The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt

BOOK 3 - The Cultural Nature of Human Development by Barbara Rogoff

BOOK 4 - A Life Gone Awry : My Story of the Elan School by Wayne Kernochan

BOOK 5 - On the Origins of War: And the Preservation of Peace by Donald Kagan

BOOK 6 - Religion for Atheists: A Non-believer's Guide to the Uses of Religion by Alain De Botton

BOOK 7 - God's Jury: The Inquisition and the Making of the Modern World by Cullen Murphy

BOOK 8 - God and the Folly of Faith: The Incompatibility of Science and Religion by Victor J. Stenger

BOOK 9 - The Religious Beliefs of America's Founders: Reason, Revelation, Revolution by Gregg L. Frazer

BOOK 10 - Empire of the Summer Moon: Quanah Parker and the Rise and Fall of the Comanches, the Most Powerful Indian Tribe in American History by S. C. Gwynne

Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 pm
Profile Email WWW

Post Re: JULY, AUGUST & SEPTEMBER 2012 NON-FICTION BOOK POLL
5 an 6 are good reads

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:17 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Doctorate

10 sounds interesting, but not available on Kindle

Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:52 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I apologize to everyone that received the email notification of this poll 3x!

That was a malfunction of our email program and it won't happen again. I'll be switching to Constant Contact where everyone opts in and out.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:52 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

BookTalk.org Moderator
Platinum Contributor

I'm getting #5 for Father's Day. I sort of pulled some strings.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:55 am

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Geo, sounds like a good book.

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:52 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

I'd have to go with #10 and the story of the Comanche tribe.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:03 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

mmmmikkimac,

Will you be joining in on the discussion if Book #10 wins? If so please vote in the poll. Click the book or books you will discuss with us if they win.

I am deleting your book suggestion as this is not the place for making additional book suggestions. We are voting right now on the suggestions that have already been made.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:08 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

OCHEN VINCENT, please start making posts on the forums so we know counting your votes makes sense for the community. We need to feel comfortable that everyone voting is voting because they plan to be involved in the book discussions.

Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:13 am
Profile Email WWW
Not latency, or power shortage, nor bedtime shall keep me from my appointed screed

I'm honored tohave my book on the list. I won't vote for it, but if it makes the cut I'd be happy to join the discussion

Thank you, you just made my day :)

The following user would like to thank Ban me now for this post:
Chris OConnor
Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:51 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Genuinely Genius

Silver Contributor

I won't vote as I probably won't read any of the books listed since I have a library full of books that I may never get to!?

Just wanted to stick my nose in and say that my husband was reading the Comanche book as we crossed the country by train last winter. He said it is very little about Quannah Parker and mostly about the Comanche's and the terrible violence of those times and battles. I also read parts of it, mostly about the terrible treatment given to Cynthia Parker after she was "rescued" from the indians.

The following user would like to thank lady of shallot for this post:
Chris OConnor
Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:54 am
Profile Email

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Not every vote will be counted. If common sense tells us that the person voting will not participate in the book discussion the vote will be discarded. Those of you with only 1 post will not be counted unless you prove yourself as someone that is serious about participating on the forums.

Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:58 am
Profile Email WWW

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Please read what I say here and then KEEP VOTING! 8)

BOOK 2 - The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt has the most votes from real members that will probably actually participate in a discussion of the book. So right now I'm going to announce this book as 1 of our NON-FICTION book discussions for July, August and September.

This poll will remain up for a few more days at least so keep voting. If a 2nd book gets lots of votes we can announce it as a 2nd NON-FICTION book discussion to run concurrently with BOOK 2 - The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt.

Several people voted and then asked for their accounts to be deleted or their accounts were deleted for spam. And then 2 new people voted but their votes will not count because there is almost no chance they will actually participate so we don't want their votes impacting what books we read. Why do I feel they won't participate? They voted and then never again made another post despite my PM's and emails asking them to get involved on the forums to prove themselves. I could be wrong but a decade of experience tells me these are the people that can be considered "hit and run voters." They are voting because voting is fun, but they aren't going to stick around.

As of right now BOOK 3 and BOOK 4 have the 2nd most qualified votes so please don't consider the voting over. I just want to announce the lead book right now so people can order it and receive it before the start of the July, August and September discussion period.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:56 am
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.