• In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Short stories by Guy de Maupassant

A dedicated forum for discussing and celebrating your favorite short stories and short story authors.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
kirkby
Master Debater

Short stories by Guy de Maupassant

Unread post

Just started reading this and am enjoying it greatly. Good descriptions e.g. that a plump lady's red face is like ' a peony bud ripe for bursting'. Every story so far concerned with people and how they lived in 19th century France particularly the social mores and social divisions including political themes. So true to people of today also and no doubt of people thro' the ages! Highly recommended.
kirkby
Master Debater

Re: Short stories by Guy de Maupassant

Unread post

Well now I am getting 'bogged down' in these short stories by de Maupassant! They have been put down at the moment and not yet picked up again...not a good sign! The stories seem to be about the same characters and situations but different names are given to the protaganists. Maybe I should read from further on in the volume and see how it goes?
Toobi
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Never even heard of de Maupassant... interesting though. Might have to look into it. What kinda genre does he mainly do?
kirkby
Master Debater

Unread post

Social mores and 'society' in bourgeois France circa 1880 - 1890. So far chimes in with political corruption, questionable moral codes etc., of other ages? Been offline for a few days so still haven't read any further.
Toobi
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

kirkby wrote:Social mores and 'society' in bourgeois France circa 1880 - 1890. So far chimes in with political corruption, questionable moral codes etc., of other ages? Been offline for a few days so still haven't read any further.
Eh, doesn't really sound like my cup of tea. But I think I might check it out. Everything deserves at least one chance in my eyes. I'm more of a fiction, sci-fi, fantasy, horror guy. Like the post I made right below yours about the emotobook "Suburbians"
kirkby
Master Debater

Unread post

No I know! Not my cup of tea either!
Read your interesting post on 'Suburbians' but regrettably, being an old-timer, I don't know emotobooks (what are they?) and my preference is for crime fiction and other fiction but not for sci-fi, horror or fantasy. Recommend a book to change my mind? Happy reading Toobi.
Marie79
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I like De Maupassant. I think his stories are pretty direct in terms of what he is trying to say as an author. In other words, their meaning isn't some huge mystery. My favorite story by him is "The Necklace." I also like "Butterball."

M
kirkby
Master Debater

Unread post

Thankyou Marie for your comment. I think it is important for us all to have our own views, likes and dislikes etc. No doubt de Maupassant is a good clear storyteller/writer and commentator on his social times. My nephew-in-law I believe is an admirer of his stories too.
kirkby
Master Debater

Unread post

Thankyou Marie for your comment. I think it is important for us all to have our own views, likes and dislikes etc. No doubt de Maupassant is a good clear storyteller/writer and commentator on his social times. My nephew-in-law I believe is an admirer of his stories too.
Marie79
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

You're welcome, Kirkby. Another interesting story by Maupassant is "The Horla." Have you read it? I recommend it. :)

Return to “Short Story Discussions”