Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:22 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Ch. 1 - Why do we need evolution? 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Ch. 1 - Why do we need evolution?
Ch. 1 - Why do we need evolution?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:55 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Post Re: Ch. 1 - Why do we need evolution?
I recommend moving quickly through the introductory chapter(s) to get to the more interesting stuff, a lot of it is a defense of evolution and evolutionary psychology, and some basic concepts.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:01 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Likes the book better than the movie

Gold Contributor

Dexter wrote:
I recommend moving quickly through the introductory chapter(s) to get to the more interesting stuff, a lot of it is a defense of evolution and evolutionary psychology, and some basic concepts.

Very wise advice!There's a tendency to get stuck defending every discipline (and sub-discipline.....and sub-sub-discipline) dealing with evolution here. But much to my surprise, the reading is quite easy and pleasant. I understand it (and least so far :)).

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:22 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Doctorate

Yes I agree it is interesting but the lack of references is very disconcerting. For example, Tinbergen's 'Four Why's' Why can't he annotate the source and the quote? Those interested can quickly look it up with the flick of the cursor (on Kindle) - those not can read the authors explanation. It's not even in the bibliography.
As far as I have read, he is giving rational arguments, but this lack of references makes me immediately distrustful. I have more to say on this in further chapters.
I think he is correct in saying that cultural processes can also have very important evolutionary affects, and may not involve genes at all.
By the way, I was surprised at his claim that birds are considered to have large brains. I don't know whether this is true at all, but I thought by their body size and brain ratio they would have small brains?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:21 am
Profile Email
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Don't forget to pick up the book and start reading!

Don't you want to learn why the mind evolved the way it did?

Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 pm
Profile Email
Doctorate

Yes of course I do. But he needs evidence

Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:51 pm
Profile Email
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

heledd wrote:
Yes of course I do. But he needs evidence

I wasn't talking to you in particular, just reminding others to jump in.

It does have a pretty good bibliography at least. It probably would be good to at least have endnotes for the text, but you can't fault a popular-level book too much for that.

Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:04 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Getting Comfortable

This is a lot easier to read and understand than I thought it would be. You're right, the first chapter is really dry and hard for me to hold onto. I ploughed thru it though and am ready to learn more.

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:39 am
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Dexter wrote:

How did the mind develop its ability to invent the "unreasonable effectiveness" of mathematics?

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:57 am
Profile Email
Book Aficionado

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

ant wrote:
Dexter wrote:

How did the mind develop its ability to invent the "unreasonable effectiveness" of mathematics?

Good question, I don't really know the answer. I don't find "God did it" to be a satisfying answer.

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:05 pm
Profile Email

Gold Contributor

Dexter wrote:
ant wrote:
Dexter wrote:

Good question, I don't really know the answer. I don't find "God did it" to be a satisfying answer.

Maybe your sock puppett knows. I ask it. :)

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:45 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.