• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 723 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 am

A voice for reason

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: A voice for reason

Unread post

here's a long interview with Neil DeGrasse Tyson from Stephen Colbert.

http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/tyson/ ... ey-academy
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Carl Sagan:
The immense distance to the stars in the galaxies means that we see everything in space, in the past.

Some as they were before the earth came to be.

Telescopes are time machines.

Long ago, when an early galaxy began to pour light into the surrounding darkness, no witness could have known that billions of years later some remote clumps of rock and metal, ice and organic molecules would fall together to make a place called earth.

Or that life would arise. And that thinking beings would evolve who would one day capture a little of that galactic light and try to puzzle out what had sent it on it's way.

And after the earth dies, some five billion years from now... after it is burned to a crisp, or even swallowed by the sun, there will be other worlds. And other stars, and galaxies coming into being.

And they will know nothing of a place once called earth.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

-Guillermo Del Torro

Madscribbler
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Two polar opposites:

Galileo stood outside the court and said, "And still it moves,..." after being forced to capitulate.

Pat Robertson sat on tv and said that one can, "calm the storm," with prayer. He was referring to the recent outbreak of tornadoes that, according to him, were the result of not enough people praying.

People believe what they want to believe, I guess.

When some evangelist heals Stephen Hawking, I suppose I'll have to rethink things a bit. Until then, I'm firmly on the side of the critically thinking skeptic. I see no reason to spend time and money chasing an ever receding horizon.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

-Guillermo Del Torro

ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Galileo stood outside the court and said, "And still it moves,..." after being forced to capitulate.
This has never been confirmed in an authentic, recording of the proceedings.
To my knowledge, no such transcript exists.
Last edited by ant on Sat May 05, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madscribbler
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

It's allright. I did the same thing myself, as have many others I'm sure, with regard to the overall ideas that seem to be in conflict.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Madscribbler wrote:It's allright. I did the same thing myself, as have many others I'm sure, with regard to the overall ideas that seem to be in conflict.
It's okay to misrepresent history?
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Ant, Madscribbler is not misrepresenting history, but recounting a popular legend that gets to the heart of Galileo's conflict with the church. You do not know Galileo did not say it, so you have no basis to dispute the legend. At least Galileo was a real person, unlike Jesus, and this myth helps to illustrate modern defiance against the flat earth idiocy of the medieval church.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

here's Richard Feynman's famous 7 lectures on the character of physical law.

Not science promotion, in the way some of these other videos are, but lectures by one of the true explorers of the world. If you are even remotely interested in physics, or science more generally, you should watch these videos.

Feynman has a particular skill in presenting these concepts in strait forward language that really takes you into the concepts he discusses.

http://io9.com/5894600/watch-a-series-o ... rd-feynman
-Guillermo Del Torro

Return to “Science & Technology”