• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Pen name not necessary

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
JuliannaRuth
Master Debater

Pen name not necessary

Unread post

After consulting with a lot of people it has become clear I don't need to use a pen name. I never mention my parents names and I'm definitely not slandering them. As if promotion of a book isn't hard enough I was just making it worse for myself . I will publish it under my real name- Jess McCray
Mitya
Almost Comfortable

Re: Pen name not necessary

Unread post

You're right to be circumspect over the matter, for many is the time that a subject hasn't liked their depiction on the page. Specific to your case, I think Philip Roth's family was upset over his early writings in how they mined personal stories for personal gain. And David Simon's compassionate account of Gary McCullough's drug addiction in The Corner caused a rift between the writer and McCullough's parents. It's appropriate to fear you might be walking on eggshells, because oftentimes you are!

Sounds like you've spent sufficient reflection on the matter, and luckily your given name has just the kind of succinct appeal that (all too many) publishers look for.

Return to “Author's Lounge”