• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 709 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

Lost Memory of Skin, Prt. 5, chapters 6-9

#104: Jan. - Feb. 2012 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Lost Memory of Skin, Prt. 5, chapters 6-9

Unread post

LOST MEMORY OF SKIN

Russell Banks

Part Five, Chapters; six -nine
Damifino
Intern

Re: Lost Memory of Skin, Prt. 5, chapters 6-9

Unread post

Just finished the book. What a story! I have no more sympathy for sex offenders now then I did before reading the book. But the one thing that jumps out for me is "don't believe everything you think." I'll give it that much.

5 out of 5 stars.
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

Damifino wrote:Just finished the book. What a story! I have no more sympathy for sex offenders now then I did before reading the book. But the one thing that jumps out for me is "don't believe everything you think." I'll give it that much.

5 out of 5 stars.
So, it appears that Banks accomplished what I believe is his goal as far as you're concerned. I've enjoyed reading with you and hope you do join the Classics discussion.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Thanks for the recommendation Damfino. I could not buy the book here until March, and anyway was not available on Kindle
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

lindad_amato wrote: So, it appears that Banks accomplished what I believe is his goal as far as you're concerned. I've enjoyed reading with you and hope you do join the Classics discussion.
Thank you for having me. I do feel somewhat out of my league here. But I so love to discuss books while I am reading.

Yes I will be joining in the Moby Dick discussion. I am not the biggest fan of the classics but there are some that I would love to try. That way when the show Jeopardy comes on I might have a chance. 8)
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

heledd wrote:Thanks for the recommendation Damfino. I could not buy the book here until March, and anyway was not available on Kindle
Well I hope you chime in while reading it. Would love to hear what you think. For me this book was very well written and for sure I will read more Russel Banks. But you know something....as much as I liked it there are only a few of my reading friends that I think would even consider picking it up. Because of the content.
Tigerlily22
Master Debater

Unread post

I am glad I read the book as well, but I feel like there are still a lot of unanswered questions. I want to know who everyone really is. I don't believe that the Writer is who he says he is, any more than the Professor, Shyster, Kid, etc. I think that is definitely the point of the book. Nothing is what it seems. I have always thought this about individuals on the registry because of the variety of things that can get you put on the list. However, that being said, I am also not sure I want anyone on the list watching my nephew either. It's an interesting thing to ponder and a good point that the book brought up.

I also felt like the book was a little wordy. I felt like the same points and ideas could have been put across in a shorter book. There were many places where the plot dragged on in order to just increase the amount of knowledge we had on each character, but not necessarily anything to the plot line. This frustrated me, but I am glad I made it to the end. I was quite excited by this last section.

Return to “Lost Memory of Skin: A Novel - by Russell Banks”