• In total there are 39 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 39 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Reading on iPad?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
arukiyomi
Master Debater

Re: Reading on iPad?

Unread post

I've been reading on a Sony PRS505 for years and love it. I travel a lot so this is an exceptionally convenient device because it is small, light, has long battery life and I don't get eye strain from the screen.

Reading on backlit screens gives me eye strain. Those of you who find reading on those screens fine may be of a younger generation. E-ink is so much softer on my eyes. You may find it so in the future unless there are rapid improvements in backlit refresh rates in the next decade.... which there may be.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

It looks as though many of us paper-lovers will eventually have one of these devices--especially since there's reason to think the cost may get down to $50 fairly soon. But I'd guess we'll use them in strategic situations rather than abandon books. There is just too much inconvenience associated with e-books, funny as that might sound. You can't really flip through an e-book as you can with the object, nor can an e-book truly replace a newspaper, in my opinion, for the same reason. You also don't have the satisfying visual clue of being halfway though the book, almost finished, or whatever. The e-books I've seen have tiny pages, so that at the bottom of the page you'll see something like "page 35 of 2,450", when the book might be 300 pages in paper form. Somehow that bothers me.

But no doubt, it's largely a generational thing. I could well be wrong, but I believe that at least starting off with paper books is the best way to form a love of reading, and that if reading ever becomes digital from the start, it will be competing with so many other types of electronic media that it will lose its foothold.

If we ever come to severe resource depletion on the planet, e-books might then be the only way to go.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

I'm rockin' the iPad now. I agree, flipping through ebooks is not really possible in the same way, and I don't like the location indicators either.

But there are a lot of benefits -- being able to easily search texts, highlighting/annotating that is easier to find again (selecting quotes and having them saved is great -- I wish I had that as a student), and of course portability.

I don't really see much of a problem replacing newspapers -- a lot of that "flipping" was not really productive. I definitely find news reading better electronically.
charleshudgen

Unread post

Reading on Ipad is not a problem because it is very convenient to use. Whenever,I want to read a book, browsing on Ipad is my friend on it. E-books is very accessible such as searching for text, novel etc. and most of all it saved money by buying books.

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Cool example of an interactive app that I picked up for $7

"Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe"
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/03/bria ... active-app
Newomyn
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I use the Kindle Fire and love it for everything except Magazines. I hate the way it works with magazines. It loads a preview at the bottom which I constantly end up calling up for some reason and it ends up taking the fun out of the just "flip and turn".

Kym
Kym
InterMilan

Unread post

I don't like reading on iPad, its screen easily causes eye-tired.
I prefer reading on Kindle, much more eye-friendly.
I learned a method on the google about how to read iBooks on Kindle by requeim 3.3(free tool), very useful.
athenaloves2
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I own a B&N Nook and an iPad. I prefer the Nook at the beach with sun glare and the iPad for indoor. I also read on my iphone a lot so what ever you do make sure you can sync everything...

Return to “Everything Else”