• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Visit From Goon Squad, Final Thoughts

#105: Mar. - April 2012 (Fiction)
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Visit From Goon Squad, Final Thoughts

Unread post

A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD
Jennifer Egan

Final Thoughts
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Re: Visit From Goon Squad, Final Thoughts

Unread post

One question has been bothering me: the character--of more so, the name--of Chronos. I need to find out why Chronos (=Time) appears when and where he does. And I'm starting to have fun tracing the "time" metaphors.
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

oblivion wrote:One question has been bothering me: the character--of more so, the name--of Chronos. I need to find out why Chronos (=Time) appears when and where he does. And I'm starting to have fun tracing the "time" metaphors.
Chronos appears to be the epitome of not having enough time.
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I must admit, I am having a hard time getting through this book. I am finding the comments on the novel more entertaining than the book itself. I have three more chapters to get through and if I can find the fortitude within myself I will try to read it again once I am finished. I did find the chapter on the general to be hilarious. La Doll/Dolly and Lulu have become my favorite characters. Maybe this is why I don't like this novel, the characters swich so often its hard to really care about them. So, I'm off to finish the novel, maybe within the next three chapters there will be an aha moment that will pull the whole thing together.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Suzanne. Might be premature of me to comment as I haven't written about all the chapters yet. I found the book very interesting, but very dissatisfying. You know how with some books you close it and can't read anything for days because you are thinking about it?? With this one I just thought - well interesting but given the choice would not read it again.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Actually, this book seems like a perfect book club book.....one you don't really like and probably won't ever read again, but one which can nevertheless be discussed well. I think what I enjoyed most about the book were the narrating devices she used. I almost left out the PowerPoint chapter but I'm glad I didn't. It was clever. But I can't say I liked it. Suzanne, your point about the develpment of the characters rings true. Just when you're starting to like one, identify with one, wonder what's going to happen in his or her life, the character is cut. And you find yourself thinking "so what". Do I care? But is this intentional?

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

oblivion wrote:Actually, this book seems like a perfect book club book.....one you don't really like and probably won't ever read again, but one which can nevertheless be discussed well. I think what I enjoyed most about the book were the narrating devices she used. I almost left out the PowerPoint chapter but I'm glad I didn't. It was clever. But I can't say I liked it. Suzanne, your point about the develpment of the characters rings true. Just when you're starting to like one, identify with one, wonder what's going to happen in his or her life, the character is cut. And you find yourself thinking "so what". Do I care? But is this intentional?
I think Egan may have been trying to make a point about the lack of a real connection between people due to technology. Her narrative showed how people can come and go without really leaving anything worthwhile in a relationship. I hope that she is wrong and that people will communicate more with each other instead of less. Techies have a saying "garbage in, garbage out"; if we all input value then we will get value back out of technology.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I also feel disconnected from a novel that has no main character, but if you read Goon Squad as a series of interconnected short stories, I think it works better. Her novel, The Keep is a better novel, although still a bit fragmented towards the end. Egan is the consummate short story writer and perhaps that's where she really shines. Her writing is quite amazing, very concise and accessible. She's a thoroughly modern kind of writer. Still, I was surprised that this novel was awarded the Pulitzer for fiction. I don't think she's really found her niche yet.
-Geo
Question everything
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Geo, I agree that "The Keep" is a better book. I think this may be part of the problem: I had read and enjoyed that book a long time ago.
Lindad: That is exactly what I meant by the word intentional--I think it is a device she is using. The stories are fragments of lives and just barely have something to do with each other. And I think this is the message she is trying to get across.Our lives touch but we are not really able to have deep, meaningful relationships. Rather dystopian, isn't it? Time or the Good Squad seems to be the only thing we have in common that affects us all. But in the end, does time really even matter? I find myself chewing on this book a lot. I am very happy I read it. But I can't say I'll reread it or even save it.

supernova38

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I have to agree with Suzanne; I'm having a hard time finishing this book as well. :?

Return to “A Visit from the Goon Squad - by Jennifer Egan”