• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Experiments in the narrating voice

#105: Mar. - April 2012 (Fiction)
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Re: Experiments in the narrating voice

Unread post

Suzanne wrote:Heledd:

You can add theme threads within the "Goon" forum. For instance you may want to add a thread about the music in the book and members can add to that thread while they read the book. Oblivion makes a good point, sometimes when there is a theme, or a particular writing style that runs throughout a novel creating a thread about that theme makes it easier to talk about it. Oftentimes the themes do not become clear until you start reading the novel. Chapter threads are good for discussing what happens throughout a particular chapter, and theme and writing style threads are good for discussing what happens throughout the entire novel.

Adding a thread is the best way to discuss any themes. That way we can discuss without spoiling the upcoming chapters for those who like to discuss that way. The interactive character chart is mind-blowing. I'm going to play with it for awhile.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Yes I understand now. Wish that interactive site would work for me, though. I have a problem with the Powerpoint chapter. did you read it on Kindle? It's too small for me to see, and I can't enlarge it.
Last edited by heledd on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

I haven't read the powerpoint chapter yet. I'm moving along slowly because I have several books going, but I'll take a look at it on Kindle and see how it works for me.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

lindad_amato - did you manage to read that chapter on Kindle. I had to use a magnifying glass and still could not read the grey parts with white writing
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

heledd wrote:lindad_amato - did you manage to read that chapter on Kindle. I had to use a magnifying glass and still could not read the grey parts with white writing
I skimmed it. It was mostly the teenager ranting against her parents. It really doesn't work well on Kindle. I wonder if I plugged my Kindle into my laptop if it would be more visible. Anyway, I don't think Egan's experiment worked all that well because Powerpoint is meant to be seen on a larger screen and with a narrator. In book or paper form it is non-dimensional and, therefore, less appealing to the reader.
oblivion

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Likes the book better than the movie

Unread post

I found it clever, but admit to almost leaving it out. But once used, I don't think it could carry water again. It was rather gimmicky, but something new. Which audience was she aiming for in this chapter?
Gods and spirits are parasitic--Pascal Boyer

Religion is the only force in the world that lets a person have his prejudice or hatred and feel good about it --S C Hitchcock

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. --André Gide

Reading is a majority skill but a minority art. --Julian Barnes
lindad_amato
Intelligent

Unread post

I've finished the book and decided that the narrative did not work for me, nor did the entire piece because I didn't find anything likeable about the characters. Egan seems to be taking a cue from Jonathan Frazen in that the characters are often not sympathetic. I found myself not really caring what happened to them. Oh, well, it was interesting and I enjoyed discussing with my BookTalk pals.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

If I plug my kindle into my laptop, the laptop cannot read the files if they are bought from Amazon

Return to “A Visit from the Goon Squad - by Jennifer Egan”