• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 813 on Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:52 pm

Lost Memory of Skin, Prt 2, chapters; 8-10

#104: Jan. - Feb. 2012 (Fiction)
Damifino
Intern

Re: Lost Memory of Skin, Prt 2, chapters; 8-10

Unread post

giselle wrote:The Professor is engaging in an experiment of organizing the sex offenders under the Causeway, which is really an experiment in empowerment, but it will be interesting to see how this works out .. I suspect it will fail due to the Professors own demons but we'll see.
I think it will fail as well but not because of the Professors demons.

Tell me please if I have this right. The Professor figures he can cure the kid of pedophilia by changing his social circumstances. And that pedophilia is not a mental issue. He wants the Kid to feel power over something. Like getting the dog and the parrot checked over and they can become the Kid's family and the Kid will be head of the family. He will have power over the animals so he doesn't have to have power over little children? I don't think I buy that theory.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

WildCityWoman wrote: Here's what I saw there - the parole officer and the professor show up ... the professor first to find that mist which has been created to film the naked children.

Ummmm hmmmm ... the the parole officer shows up - what a time for her to show up. And she orders the kid to get off that island - back to the causeway, she doesn't care, just get outta there pronto.

I'm kinda glad she did though - that doesn't sound too healthy to me, what's going on at Denbow's place.
Yea that was perfect timing for the parole officer. So far I think she is the only normal one in the bunch. She lacks sympathy though. "There is no cure for these people." Her job has probably turned her hard and cold to sex offenders and child molesters.
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

Tigerlily22 wrote:It is throwing up a HUGE red flag that Kid sees the children as beautiful, angelic children who are engaged in an erotic dance. He sees the dead eyes the children have and is not at all slightly concerned about this. The professor also mentions that the dance has an erotic tone making me wonder if I shouldn't also be concerned about his intentions. Is his view of the dance concerning like Kid's or not?
I'll be honest, when I was reading chapter 8 I thought that the Kid was dreaming. I couldn't figure out what was going on. And did you notice that he mentioned something about forgetting.....let me see if I can find it.....

He's almost forgotten why he came out here in the first place. Then he remembers that he left his tent to find Benbow so he could learn what his job will be today. But it's not a memory; it's a glimpse of one, and it's gone. He remembers for a second that the Professor is coming to bring the copy of the map today and make a second interview with him. But then he forgets.

Hey! We might be getting close to what the title of the book is about. Lost Memory of Skin.

Can a tiger change its stripes?
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

Getting back to the film shoot. I'm glad the Professor figured out what they were doing, the kids, cause I was lost. They were setting the mood. They were advertising the mood for a place the perverts could go to where they could exploit little children. Now how freegin sick is that! I lead such a sheltered life and I prefer it that way. My God there are some sick people in this world. :evil:

Return to “Lost Memory of Skin: A Novel - by Russell Banks”