• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Book signing questions

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Re: Book signing questions

Unread post

That's a great attitude, Eric. Don't get discouraged, you'll have lots of folks rooting for you.
Karen Fisher-Alaniz
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

I had my first signing that was in a place where I knew absolutely no one. It was at Costco in Spokane, WA. What an interesting experience and a study in human behavior. Some people responded to just catching their eye and then talking a little about the book. But more often than not, if I made eye contact, people ran for the nearest exit. LOL I don't think I'm very good at this salesperson thing. So, what worked? What would I suggest to other authors?

1. Bring food. I had a bowl of festive candy kisses on my table.
2. Have something on the table to draw people to the table. I had my father's old suitcase with memorabilia in it.
3. Be sure that there is signage at the front of the store and that everyone who works there knows about your book!
4. Offer something for non-buyers to take with them; bookmarks or postcards with book info on it.
5. Place some books a little away from your table, but pre-sign them so that shy people can peruse them without commitment.

Overall, sales were very good. And I got to hear a lot of people's stories about their loved ones - that's always the best part! There are also things I would do differently - live and learn, huh? ~Karen
My website: http://www.storymatters2.com
Breaking the Code - a Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey,
and the Question That Changed Everything (Sourcebooks) came
out on 11/1/11. Buy at your local bookstore, or on Amazon
cassidycornblatt
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I would like to hold a book signing, but as a first time author I am a little new to all of this. What is the best way to set one up, and do you have any other advice? Thanks.
Cassidy Cornblatt
YA Epic Fantasy Author
Author Page
Lynn Hardy
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I've done some pretty successful signings. The best piece of advice I ever received was to print out fliers to take with you. Most people like to see reviews - even if they are by ordinary people. So I typed up my favorite reviews, with a picture of my book to one side and the title on the top of the slip of paper. Handing these to people who come into the bookstore is a great way to break the ice and let them know you are doing a signing.

http://www.amazon.com/Prophecy-Flame-Bo ... 6TWVU5XWC2
Hollywood Helps Homeless Families - Visit our facebook page to find out more: http://www.facebook.com/ProphecyOfTheFl ... 7036234062

Return to “Author's Lounge”