• In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Suggestions for our Jan. & Feb. 2003 Book Selection need

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Suggestions for our Jan. & Feb. 2003 Book Selection need

Unread post

I am nominating Darwin's "Origin of Species!" And we wouldn't even have to go buy it, although I know many of you already own it. Here is a link to the entire text online...www.literature.org/authors/darwin-charles/I think we could attract a ton of people to the site if they knew we were reading and discussing this book over a two-month period.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: Suggestions for our Jan. & Feb. 2003 Book Selection

Unread post

Chris,Origin of the Species has been on my "to read" list for quite a while. I bought the book some time ago but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I have so little understanding of evolution and thought that this would be a good place to start. Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Perhaps we can all discuss this topic Thursday night in the chat room.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
Andonicus

Unread post

I'd like to suggest Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe. Published in 1999, it was a New York Times bestseller. In it Greene describes the string theory with remarkable facility and wit. It's engaging reading, intentionally written for the layman, though I've yet to find a group of non-scientists who are enthusiastic about discussing it. I'd love to do so here! Ando
Johnny Neuron
Finally Comfortable

Re: book suggestion

Unread post

My only complaint against reading Origin of Species would be that so much of Darwin's original evolutionary theory has been modified, expanded and many of his original ideas about specifics have been shown false (ie -- Darwin originally proposed that modern day whales descended from bear-like ancestory; actually the link is closer to cows). I do understand that it is a classic and could be read for it's historical value alone. What do I know, though, I'm just a newbie! Personally, one of the books I would recommend is Elaine Pagels' Origin of Satan. It's a fascinating book and her writing style is superb. In it she shows how the idea of Satan has evolved over time and how the early Christians used the idea to "demonize" their opposition, primarily the religious Jews. Bradley
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: book suggestion

Unread post

People visiting are going to get the wrong idea about us! LOLThe Demon Haunted WorldThe Lucifer PricipleThe Orign of SatanChris "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being." - Jerry Falwell"I don't see any god up here." - Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin (the first man in space), speaking from orbit, 1961.
Johnny Neuron
Finally Comfortable

Another suggestion

Unread post

Chris,How about Let's Worship the Devil by B. Elzebub.(That's a joke BTW)Bradley
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Another suggestion

Unread post

OMG LOLI have read the "Satanic Bible" several times and actually recommend it as part of a well wounded education in comparative religion.Chris "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being." - Jerry Falwell"I don't see any god up here." - Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin (the first man in space), speaking from orbit, 1961.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Well wounded education... LOL. I need to remember that one.Cheryl
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I'm with Johnny in saying No to Origin. While the idea behind it is the spirit of evolution, many of Darwin's conclusions are now held to be incorrect, and his general idea about the theory is modified heavily. We would probably do better off reading something by Dawkins or Gould, if Evolution is the topic desired. Alternatively, Sagan has two good books on biology, Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors and The Dragons of Eden

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”