• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Hobbesian Religiosity

#102: Jan. - Feb. 2012 (Non-Fiction)
President Camacho

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I Should Be Bronzed

Re: Hobbesian Religiosity

Unread post

I agree with everything you're saying with exception to moral culpability regarding actions of the sovereign and of the state.

The impression I get from the last part of 'Of Man' is strikingly liberal. I was a little shocked at some of the Laws of nature - which I will make a post about later.

Who is responsible?

"A multitude of men, are made one person, when they are by one man, or one person, represented; so that it be done with the consent of every one of that multitude in particular. For it is the unity of the representer, for the unity of the represented, that maketh the person one. And it is the representer that beareth the person, and but one person and unity, cannot otherwise be understood in multitude."

(Strange how a monarchy can sound so much like a representative government, huh? What an argument...!)

So Leviathan IS the people. The people are included in Hobbes mind and therefore are accomplices - morally culpable. Read what he has to say about authorship. The multitude are many authors.

"From hence it followeth, that when the Actor maketh a Covenant by Authority, he bindeth thereby the Author, no lesse than if he had made it himselfe..."

How I interpret this to read is: The sovereign has the power and authority. A covenant is made whereby the multitude will be ruled. Whatever the sovereign chooses to do, he does as if the people were doing it themselves and should be held responsible. That's what I get out of it anyway.
heledd
Doctorate

Re: Hobbesian Religiosity

Unread post

I think he sees religion as a tool to subjucate people. The people obey the sovereign because he is the Word of God, it's another weapon in his arsenal of fear. It's very much like reading Marx. The description of an utopia, which if brought to reality, would be dystopia.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons

Return to “Hobbes: Leviathan: Revised student edition - by Thomas Hobbes”