• In total there are 23 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 23 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Suggestion for November Book

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Thurkon17

Suggestion for November Book

Unread post

Hey everyone,I am planning on participating in the November book read, and I though I would offer a suggestion. A book that I read a review about sounds interesting, and harkens back to a discussion regarding freewill that Cheryl and a few of us had back on the other board.The book is called: The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Natureby Steven PinkerIt is a study of the effect our biology has on our personality, specifically how strongly hereditary factors shape us as indivduals. Here is a link to a review: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... Oct11.html
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Suggestion for November Book

Unread post

Since we've changed from "Book a month" to "Book every two months", November's book is going to be what we had originally voted for October: The Lucifer Principle.This doesn't sound like a bad idea for January, though. :) This above all: to thine own self be true,And it must follow, as the night the day,Thou canst not then be false to any man.--William Shakespeare, Hamlet
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Jim,Yeah, I think we've decided on the Lucifer Principle for November, but I read the write up about the book you proposed and it sounds very interesting. This is a topic I'm definitely interested in exploring. It would be a great suggestion for January.Cheryl
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Thurkon:That books does look pretty interesting. If we suddenly had some new members we might want to do another poll for the Nov./Dec. book, but as it stands "The Lucifer Principle" seems to be the winner.Sometime soon I'll put up a poll for the Jan./Feb. book. We're going to try to have a "Discussion Leader" for each new book selection too now. Just like a moderator in a chat room or a formal debate keeps the conversation moving and on track, our discussion leader would perform the very same function. They don't need to contribute much to the meat of the conversation unless they want to, but they simply ask questions and stimulate dialogue.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”