• In total there are 11 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Official Poll - October 2002 "Book of the Month"

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Official Poll - October 2002 "Book of the Month"

Unread post

BookTalk Members:I'm going to give this poll feature another shot since we have yet to have a problem with it. Please be sure to only vote one time and NOT AT ALL if you don't participate regularly in either the chat sessions or on the message boards.I have only included nonfiction books that were suggested since we are narrowing our focus.Thank you!ChrisResults (total votes = 9):"Denying Evolution: Creationism, Scientism, and the Nature of Science" - by Massimo Pigliucci&nbsp1 / 11.1%&nbsp "The Lucifer Principle: A Scientific Expedition into the Forces of History" - by Howard K. Bloom&nbsp4 / 44.4%&nbsp "Ever Since Darwin: Reflections in Natural History" - Stephen Jay Gould&nbsp1 / 11.1%&nbsp "Saint Saul: A Skeleton Key To The Historical Jesus" - Donald Harman Harmon Akenson&nbsp0 / 0.0%&nbsp"Secret Origins of the Bible" - Tim Callahan&nbsp3 / 33.3%&nbsp  "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Official Poll - October 2002 "Book of the Month&quo

Unread post

So who still needs to vote? I'll leave this poll up for a few more days.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Re: Official Poll - October 2002 "Book of the Month&

Unread post

maybe after we vote, we could just put a little post below to notify we've voted? This above all: to thine own self be true,And it must follow, as the night the day,Thou canst not then be false to any man.--William Shakespeare, Hamlet
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I would appreciate if everyone made a quick post with the book title they voted on for October. We currently have a tie between "The Lucifer Principle" and "Secret Origins of the Bible."I voted for "The Lucifer Principle."Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

I voted for Secret Origins This above all: to thine own self be true,And it must follow, as the night the day,Thou canst not then be false to any man.--William Shakespeare, Hamlet
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Heh, I nominated "Secret Origins", but voted for "Lucifer Principle", so go figger. If it broke the tie, I could switch my vote to the one I offered.Perhaps a way out would be for folks to check reader reviews of both books on Amazon or other sites. Sorry, no time to post those links at the moment.
stevepainter

Unread post

I voted for the Lucifer Principle mainly for the pragmatic reason that rereading a book I read a few years ago will give me a better chance to keep up with BookTalk. I was also thinking about reading it again anyway in light of recent events of last year.I'd gladly read the other selection, Secret Origins. It's up to you guys.
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

I voted for The Lucifer Principle. It sounds very interesting, but then so do all of them. Cheryl
Drunkenblade of Kay

Unread post

I voted for Secret Origins of the Bible. I was required to take a biblical apologetics class at school. They went over several of the theories which explain certain incongruities in scripture, such as the variation in the synoptic gospels. My hope here is to learn how to refute those evil bastards.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Something is screwy!Thats 4 votes for Lucifer and only 3 show on the Poll!! I'm glad I asked what people voted for!Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”