• In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

The House of the Spirits; The Three Marias

#101: Nov. - Dec. 2011 (Fiction)
WildCityWoman
Genius

Re: The House of the Spirits; The Three Marias

Unread post

Well, I can't hate him - he can't be anyone but who he is. Still, his ways with peasant women are upsetting. There are things I like about him - his industriousness - his vision. I always like seeing someone put something together from ruins.

I'm watching the movie on You Tube, then reading, then going back and watching the segment over again.

Was anyone put in mind of Tolstoy when reading of this 'hacienda'? Of his ideas for his farm workers?

When I started reading this I didn't think I was going to like it. There's so much going on in that first segment, so much unbelievable stuff, the green hair, etc., that I had no patience for it.

Now? Thanks to someone here putting up the link to the movie, I'm really getting into it.

Now, on with the next segment!
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Yes you are right. Perhaps that's why I felt sorry for him at the end
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
realiz

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Amazingly Intelligent

Unread post

Thanks to everyone who has been posting. I received my book just before heading off on a trip and have been reading it this past week and am almost finished. I have just read through all the postings and wish that I had been following along during my reading as I would have enjoyed the book even more than I have so far. Being unfamiliar with South American history and also where Allende was from, I was uncertain of the setting and also uncertain of how much of the story was based on real events. I did not have computer access during my reading to do any research.

One thing that struck me was Allende's ability to show the absence in life of black and white, in family, in love, in politics, in history.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Glad you are enjoying it. I really want to carry on with this discussion, as we are at the last section of the book. I haven't been able to participate properly for the last few days. Damifino - did you manage to finish the book before it went back to the library?
Damifino
Intern

Unread post

heledd wrote: Damifino - did you manage to finish the book before it went back to the library?

No, I'm afraid not. I had had no problem getting the book from the library so I was a little surprised when I tried to renew it someone had requested it.

I did a wee bit of skimming before taking it back so I think I got the gist of what happened. I jotted down the names of the chapters that I didn't read and keep looking for comments in the threads.

I have enjoyed reading your posts Heledd and hope to join you in another read. :)
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Man you guys are deep thinkers. Think I may have gotten in over my head with discussing with you's.

***** It's a little deep for me too - but still, I love the story - it's just great.

As I stated before I detest Esteban. He gets turned on by melons growing in the field?

***** Yeah - ha ha! In the second part of the movie where he rapes the girl, you will see how he's thinking of melons. That girl's got some set of boobs there.

Wonder if we will read more on Transito Solo. She is the prostitute from the Red Lantern.

***** Yeah, well she promised she'd be back and she does come back.
He likes her - she's got a heart like his own - ambitious.
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

Well, I'm about a third of the way through the book and loving it.
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Damifino - Thanks. I've enjoyed your postings too. I can't do the current book because it's not available in UK yet - so I'd have to send it out to Gambia, and by then the discussion would be over. What are you currently reading?
WildCityWoman
Genius

Unread post

I'm still working through the book. A page and a half a day. I'll catch up.

Return to “The House of the Spirits - by Isabel Allende”