• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

October Book of the Month suggestions needed!

Collaborate in choosing our next NON-FICTION book for group discussion within this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is necessary to participate here!
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: October Book of the Month suggestions needed!

Unread post

We need some other suggestions right away so I can post a Poll and we can vote by mid next week. So if you haven't made any suggestions please do!Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Re: October?

Unread post

Sounds reasonable to me, Chris.Cheryl
Drunkenblade of Kay

Unread post

Have you all decided yet?I'd like to make a suggestion if it's not too late?The Consolation of Philosophy - Written by the first century theologian and philosopher, Boethius, it is a treatise on theodicy (i.e. the Problem of Evil). Although this philosophical work of fiction is written from the theist's perspective, it is nonetheless an important document. I feel that it is important for the secular thinker to be familiar with because this is something that will be used against you, especially by the more educated and knowledgeable theists.In the story, the protagonist experiences a series of Job-like tradgedies and is on the verge of apostacy when Lady Philosophy comes to his aid and helps him reason through his dilemna. Two major concepts are promoted in this book which I find interesting. 1) Justice exists in the world because virtue is its own reward, and vice its own punishment. 2) True happiness never comes from something that can be lost.If this book is selected, I will gladly play the part of the Devil's advocate, or ironically enough in this case, God's advocate. Edited by: Drunkenblade of Kay at: 9/20/02 4:30:54 pm
NaddiaAoC

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Tim,Wow, that sounds very interesting. How big is the book and does it have lots of pictures? Ok just kidding about the pictures, but seriously, I would prefer our next book not be really long. My goal is to actually finish a book one of these months.Cheryl
Drunkenblade of Kay

Unread post

Well Cheryl, it's actually less than 100 pages I think; however, I'm told its slow reading. It's assigned reading for a literature class at school. You can choose between The Consolation of Philosophy and The Elizabethan World Picture, which is close to 400 pages. From what I hear, the students who want to take the easy route, pick The Elizabethan World Picture.I don't think any of the readers here would have much difficulty digesting it. It's not like it's Heidegger or anything. =)Edit: I just did a search on Amazon. My sources are apparently off. The paperback is listed as having 192 pages. Still, not that bad. Edited by: Drunkenblade of Kay at: 9/20/02 4:45:22 pm
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Tim:You're a bit late for that suggestion. Not because we have already decided on our October Book of the Month, but because we recently changed our focus or theme to not include works of fiction. In an effort to remain consistent I think it is best we stick with nonfiction. That suggestion might be a good book to suggest in the Additional Readings Category under the Fiction forum. I do like the fact that it is relevant to our focus, is told from the perspective of the theist, and is under 100 pages. And it also sounds like a book we could all find in the library...thus saving a few dollars.I'm about to post a poll for our October Book of the Month so please vote!Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be." -- Leonardo da Vinci

Return to “What non-fiction book should we read and discuss next?”