• In total there is 1 user online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Ponderable Quote of the Day

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
marti1900

Ponderable Quote of the Day

Unread post

Alan Mintz has warned, "...the fascination with evil is a highly appetitive faculty". Where did the devil come from? He is not mentioned in the bible.Every culture has it's embodiment of evil, to which it refers over and over.What is it about evil that so fascinates us?Marti in Mexico
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Ponderable Quote of the Day

Unread post

Where did the devil come from? He is not mentioned in the bible.Depends on how you read it. The Adversary in the book of Job is taken as one Biblical prototype of the devil, and Jesus is whisked onto a mountain top to be tempted by Satan in at least one of the Gospels. And of course the serpent in the garden is conflated with the later conception of Satan.
capecodindependant

Unread post

O yes the Devil was mentioned in the bible-many of times.Lucifer was a created angel living in heaven with God and his other legions of angels.He was thrown out of heaven for talking down to God and wanting to be like christ.He was thrown into Hell.Lucifer used to be an angel.
badmendicant

Unread post

"Good" is anything which increases your power. "Evil" is anything which diminishes your power.
marti1900

Unread post

Bad, I am talking about evil...not just good and bad. If I have a toothache, that's bad, but not evil.And I am not sure I can agree with your definition of good and bad. Sounds like the definition of what affects a 'life' on a computer game. But in this post, what I am interested in is the idea of a fascination with evil, and the possible that this fascination is addicting. So what do you think about that? IS the fascination with evil addicting? And why?Marti in Mexico
tarav

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Unread post

In What Is Good? by A. C. Grayling, Grayling discusses how the Christian story of Satan was based on a pagan myth. Grayling tells of, "the fall of Satan, once an archangel high in the ranks of heaven, but whose pride - he desired autonomy, independence, self-determination - was the cause of his being cast from heaven, just as Hephaestus was thrown from the summit of Olympus by an angry Zeus"(p 67). In response to Marti's questions about the fascination with evil, I'd say that if Satan is evil because he wants to be autonomous and independent, then evilness speaks to many of us!p.s. Don't forget to attend the chat with Grayling on Saturday if you know what is good for you!
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Unread post

Capecod, as far as I know the Biblical depiction of evil is never quite so solid as the later mythos of Lucifer as fallen angel. There are passages that were used in support of that tradition, but if the tradition itself hails from the Bible, then I've missed it (which is entirely possible, but you think that'd be the sort of passage that got a lot of press).

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”