• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Poll: Majority Reject Evolution

#35: Jan. - Mar. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Poll: Majority Reject Evolution

Unread post

Poll: Majority Reject Evolution51 Percent Believe God Created HumansNEW YORK, Oct. 23, 2005(CBS) Most Americans do not accept the theory of evolution. Instead, 51 percent of Americans say God created humans in their present form, and another three in 10 say that while humans evolved, God guided the process. Just 15 percent say humans evolved, and that God was not involved. These views are similar to what they were in November 2004 shortly after the presidential election. This question on the origin of human beings, asked both this month and in November 2004, offered the public three alternatives: 1. Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, and God did not directly guide this process; 2. Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, but God guided this process; or 3. God created human beings in their present form. The results were not much different between the answers to that question and those given when a specific timeline was included in the final alternative: God created human beings in their present form within the last 10,000 years. Americans most likely to believe in only evolution are liberals (36 percent), those who rarely or never attend religious services (25 percent), and those with a college degree or higher (24 percent). White evangelicals (77 percent), weekly churchgoers (74 percent) and conservatives (64 percent), are mostly likely to say God created humans in their present form. Still, most Americans think it is possible to believe in both God and evolution. Sixty-seven percent say this is possible, while 29 percent disagree. Most demographic groups say it is possible to believe in both God and evolution, but just over half of white evangelical Christians say it is not possible. Opinions on this question are tied to one's views on the origin of human beings. Those who believe in evolution, whether guided by God or not, overwhelmingly think it is possible to believe in both God and evolution
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Re: Poll: Majority Reject Evolution

Unread post

This makes me sad, but it does help explain the overall number of stupid heads out there. Later
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

The unfortunate reality is that a substantial number of Americans do not understand evolution and have no idea of the incredible amount of evidence in its favor. Think about it. According to a poll by Harris Interactive, taken in December 2005, 59 percent of adult Americans believe Hell is a real place. Assuming these polls are reasonably accurate, more Americans believe in Hell than believe in human evolution, in spite of the total lack of evidence for the former and the overwhelming evidence in favor of the latter.Carl Sagan said, in a speech before CSICOP in 1994, that we have a culture based on science and technology and have cleverly arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. He thought that was a prescription for disaster. Sadly, the situation has only gotten worse in the intervening years.George "Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

My signature line quote from Carlin sums it up nicely for me!This is why I tell my kids to focus on Math, Science and English in school more than anything. It is true what Sagan said, and it is dismaying that people are happy with being below average in their understanding of how our society runs.This is the danger of myth becoming reality.Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

Ways of life, I have heard that the Christian belief is a way of life or lifestyle. I have heard of military life styles, gay and lesbian lifestyles and even the martial arts being a lifestyle.If being a Christian was simply a lifestyle I would not be against the practice, because for the most part lifestyles involve personal choice and privacy, they for the most part do not intrude on others. But the Christian belief has added requirements that these other lifestyles do not demand. It demands abandonment of rational thought and acceptance of established doctrine without question, even if it clashes with real world knowledge. It also discourages free thought and questioning of its foundational material.The Christian way of life also demands denying our natural origins and basic needs and drives, labeling many of them "sinful". Finally and most disturbing the Christian supporters propagate the belief that it is either superior to other beliefs, or compatible with them and that their way of life is good for everyone. If surrender of will, education and free thought is a way of life you can keep it. And judging by the above poll that is what being a modern Christian is about. Later
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well, I guess it has not gotten any better for the sheep! They are still duped!Quote:The latest Newsweek poll shows that 91 percent of American adults surveyed believe in God
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

91%! This literally means that just about everyone we see around us suffers from delusional beliefs. It scares the hell out of me.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It also means that when I start shooting, chances are, all the atheists who are afraid to admit it are probably safe.Ever hear of the "Free State" project? I would love to start a "Free of Delusions" project. What state can we take over as rational, thinking and delusion free people?Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
George Ricker

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Junior

Unread post

How about Hawaii? Last time I checked they had a fairly active freethought community. Of course, the climate's a bit dull, but there's always the occasional hurricane to liven things up, not to mention the volcanoes. Or maybe we should just take over the Conch Republic. I was living in the Miami area when the Conch Rebellion was launched back in the early 80's. Those who are interested can read about it here: www.conchrepublic.com/history.htmThe national anthem, as I recall, was "Margaretaville." And the Conch Republic's motto? "We seceded where others failed." Ah .. those were the days. George "Godlessness is not about denying the existence of nonsensical beings. It is the starting point for living life without them."Godless in America by George A. Ricker
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

My wife would love to move to Hawaii...I keep telling her that, for reasons explained by my screen-name, I would never live somewhere where there was no way to the mainland on foot or by car. Being stuck in the middle of an ocean on an isalnd the relative size of a skin pore is not my idea of a good idea.Conch sounds good though...where should we all meet up?Mr. P. I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - Asana Boditharta (former booktalk troll)The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.What is all this shit about Angels? Have you heard this? 3 out of 4 people believe in Angels. Are you F****** STUPID? Has everybody lost their mind? - George CarlinI came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “The God Delusion - by Richard Dawkins”