• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Last chance to vote in March/April fiction discussion poll

Assist us in selecting our upcoming FICTION book for group discussion in this forum. A minimum of 5 posts is required to participate here!

Which award winning novel would you like to discuss during the months of March and April?

Poll ended at Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 pm

American Pastoral

No votes
The Sense of an Ending

30%
Salvage the Bones

10%
A Visit From the Goon Squad

50%
Who Fears Death

10%

Total votes: 10
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Last chance to vote in March/April fiction discussion poll

Unread post

Below you will find four novels that have won the top book awards for fiction for 2011. Also, in 2011 Philip Roth won the Man Booker International Prize for his accomplishments during his entire literary career. His 1997 Pulitzer Prize winning novel, American Pastoral
has been included to acknowledge this achievement. These novels make up our March and April group fiction discussion poll.

All members of BookTalk.org are encouraged to participate in this poll. Each member has one vote, so please take a moment to read the details of each novel and select your choice for our next fiction discussion. Please submit your vote today for a great discussion starting in March!

2011 Man Booker International Prize winner
PHILIP ROTH

Pulitzer Prize winner, 1997
American Pastoral
As the American century draws to an uneasy close, Philip Roth gives us a novel of unqualified greatness that is an elegy for all our century's promises of prosperity, civic order, and domestic bliss. Roth's protagonist is Swede Levov, a legendary athlete at his Newark high school, who grows up in the booming postwar years to marry a former Miss New Jersey, inherit his father's glove factory, and move into a stone house in the idyllic hamlet of Old Rimrock. And then one day in 1968, Swede's beautiful American luck deserts him.

For Swede's adored daughter, Merry, has grown from a loving, quick-witted girl into a sullen, fanatical teenager—a teenager capable of an outlandishly savage act of political terrorism. And overnight Swede is wrenched out of the longer-for American pastoral and into the indigenous American berserk. Compulsively readable, propelled by sorrow, rage, and a deep compassion for its characters, this is Roth's masterpiece.
http://www.amazon.com/American-Pastoral ... 0375701427

2011 Man Booker Prize winner
The Sense of an Ending
Julian Barnes
By an acclaimed writer at the height of his powers, The Sense of an Ending extends a streak of extraordinary books that began with the best-selling Arthur & George and continued with Nothing to Be Frightened Of and, most recently, Pulse.

This intense new novel follows a middle-aged man as he contends with a past he has never much thought about—until his closest childhood friends return with a vengeance, one of them from the grave, another maddeningly present. Tony Webster thought he’d left all this behind as he built a life for himself, and by now his marriage and family and career have fallen into an amicable divorce and retirement. But he is then presented with a mysterious legacy that obliges him to reconsider a variety of things he thought he’d understood all along, and to revise his estimation of his own nature and place in the world.

A novel so compelling that it begs to be read in a single sitting, with stunning psychological and emotional depth and sophistication, The Sense of an Ending is a brilliant new chapter in Julian Barnes’s oeuvre.
http://www.amazon.com/Sense-Ending-Borz ... 0307957128

2011 National Book Award winner
Salvage the Bones
Jesmyn Ward
A hurricane is building over the Gulf of Mexico, threatening the coastal town of Bois Sauvage, Mississippi, and Esch's father is growing concerned. A hard drinker, largely absent, he doesn't show concern for much else. Esch and her three brothers are stocking food, but there isn't much to save. Lately, Esch can't keep down what food she gets; she's fourteen and pregnant. Her brother Skeetah is sneaking scraps for his prized pitbull's new litter, dying one by one in the dirt. Meanwhile, brothers Randall and Junior try to stake their claim in a family long on child's play and short on parenting.

As the twelve days that make up the novel's framework yield to their dramatic conclusion, this unforgettable family-motherless children sacrificing for one another as they can, protecting and nurturing where love is scarce-pulls itself up to face another day. A big-hearted novel about familial love and community against all odds, and a wrenching look at the lonesome, brutal, and restrictive realities of rural poverty, Salvage the Bones is muscled with poetry, revelatory, and real.
http://www.amazon.com/Salvage-Bones-Nov ... 1608195228

2011 Pulitzer Prize winner
A Visit From the Goon Squad
Jennifer Egan
A Visit from the Goon Squad is a book about the interplay of time and music, about survival, about the stirrings and transformations set inexorably in motion by even the most passing conjunction of our fates. In a breathtaking array of styles and tones ranging from tragedy to satire to PowerPoint, Egan captures the undertow of self-destruction that we all must either master or succumb to; the basic human hunger for redemption; and the universal tendency to reach for both—and escape the merciless progress of time—in the transporting realms of art and music. Sly, startling, exhilarating work from one of our boldest writers.
http://www.amazon.com/Visit-Goon-Squad- ... 0307592839

2011 World Fantasy Award winner
Who Fears Death
Nnedi Okorafor
In a far future, post-nuclear-holocaust Africa, genocide plagues one region. The aggressors, the Nuru, have decided to follow the Great Book and exterminate the Okeke. But when the only surviving member of a slain Okeke village is brutally raped, she manages to escape, wandering farther into the desert. She gives birth to a baby girl with hair and skin the color of sand and instinctively knows that her daughter is different. She names her daughter Onyesonwu, which means "Who Fears Death?" in an ancient African tongue.

Reared under the tutelage of a mysterious and traditional shaman, Onyesonwu discovers her magical destiny-to end the genocide of her people. The journey to fulfill her destiny will force her to grapple with nature, tradition, history, true love, the spiritual mysteries of her culture-and eventually death itself.
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Fears-Death-N ... 075640617X
heledd
Doctorate

Re: Poll for March/April fiction discussion now open

Unread post

Am still deciding - but do we ever get to discuss something funny? Something that makes us laugh.
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
wilde
Kindle Fanatic

Unread post

I voted for "A Visit from the Goon Squad" because I'm going to have to read it for one of my classes anyway, so this might help. :lol:

I've already read "Who Fears Death," and I enjoyed it, so if that wins, hopefully I'll have time to reread it. 8)
Big bright accent, catty smile
Oscar Wilde confrontation
Ah, live like it's the style.

Shelfari!
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

I won't be participating in this discussion, but I have to mention I'm a big fan of Jennifer Egan's work. GOON SQUAD is great as is her previous novel, THE KEEP. Both lend themselves to discussion too, perhaps THE KEEP moreso.
-Geo
Question everything
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

Ok. Voted for the Goon Squad. But what happened to the idea of always offering a free book?
Suzanne

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Book General

Unread post

I laughed when I read the title, a visit from the goon squad, and I got the book free from the library.
Lynn Hardy
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Wow, thanks for posting the reviews and the info on the books. It made voting so much easier!
Hollywood Helps Homeless Families - Visit our facebook page to find out more: http://www.facebook.com/ProphecyOfTheFl ... 7036234062
Lynn Hardy
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

heledd wrote:Am still deciding - but do we ever get to discuss something funny? Something that makes us laugh.
I think sarcasm makes books fun to read... my own work is sprinkled with it. But I've never read a book that is labeled as a comedy. Can you suggest one?
Hollywood Helps Homeless Families - Visit our facebook page to find out more: http://www.facebook.com/ProphecyOfTheFl ... 7036234062
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

I didn't mean books overtly comic. I just finished re - reading Gerald Durrel's My Family and other Animals, and just laughed all the way through. It describes Greece so well.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Last chance to vote in March/April fiction discussion poll

Unread post

Let me know via a PM when this poll has ended and which book is the winner. I'll announce it on the Home page and create the forum for it.

As heledd said we do need to try to find some free books to read and talk about.

Return to “What fiction book should we read and discuss next?”