• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Political Novel Suggestions?

Authors are invited and encouraged to present their FICTION books solely within this forum.
Mary Ann H
Official Newbie!

Political Novel Suggestions?

Unread post

Can anyone suggest a good political novel to read? I'm in the mood because of the presidential election. I just finished a new one and I enjoyed it very much and I highly recommend it. It's The Clinton Diaries by Fred Petrovsky. I bought it on Amazon at the suggestion of a friend. It's a bit racy and has profanity in it, but I couldn't put it down. I've already read All the King's Men. Someone suggested I read Primary Colors. Has anyone read that one? Thanks!!! :)
amielou
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

If you like political novels, I would suggest some of Richard North Patterson's more recent books.

To Protect and Defend is really good as is the other book about that character whose name is Kerry Kilcannon (can't remember the title right now).

His newest book is also excellent, the title is The Race.

[/i]
Grim

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Brilliant

Unread post

Atlas Shrugged - its really the only one I can think of.

:book:
Last edited by Grim on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ashleigh
All Star Member

Unread post

Animal Farm by George Orwell
bohemian_girl
Book Nut

Unread post

I'm assuming that you mean real world politics and not metaphorical ideas.

The Appeal by John Grisham is fantastic. I read it around election time and it surrounds the election of judges in the US and it gets really juicy and interesting. I don't want to reveal too much but it's fact paced and if you're into politics like I am you'll love it, I'm sure.

Did you end up reading Primary Colors? If so, how was it?
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Someone mentioned "Animal Farm" by George Orwell, so of course I must add the classic "1984" by the same author.

Both are outstanding.
Ophelia.
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Unread post

I don't know if you are around anymore, but here's one that I loved.

Thank You For Smoking by Christopher Buckley
This book is a hilarious satire about Washington Politics from a lobbyists point of view. The author happens to be William F. Buckley's son. The book is now a movie as well, but though the movie is not terrible I found the book to be delightful and witty and would definitely recommend reading it over watching the movie.

I also enjoyed Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan series. He really digs into the mechanics of politics and power further into the series in the same way that he digs into the strategy of military and intelligence. I do not always agree with his ideas but every single one of this series I found impossible to put down before finishing the first time I read each one. Other than "The Hunt for Red October" every single movie that has been made out of his books is a flaming failure IMHO. You simply cannot compare what they squich into a 2 hour movie to the detail and woven tales that he tells in his thick books. Read the books.

I love me a good dystopia as well, and since dystopias are fairly political in nature here's a few of my especial favorites:

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
The Foundation series by Isaac ASimov
The Postman by David Brin

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book!”