• In total there are 25 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 25 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Personality of scientist that solves climate change

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Emekadavid
Master Debater

Personality of scientist that solves climate change

Unread post

I am trying to write a short story on humans solving science change problems in 2050.
But I am stumped about the personality of the scientist that makes the discovery.
Could anyone suggest what the personality of the character, the scientist, that solves the climate change problem be?
All help welcome.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Re: Personality of scientist that solves climate change

Unread post

Emekadavid wrote:I am trying to write a short story on humans solving science change problems in 2050.
But I am stumped about the personality of the scientist that makes the discovery.
Could anyone suggest what the personality of the character, the scientist, that solves the climate change problem be?
All help welcome.
Hi Emekadavid, warm welcome to Booktalk. Thank you for engaging on To Kill A Mockingbird, I hope you will find the time to respond to some of the discussion we have already had on this book.

Your current question relates closely to several books that we have discussed, notably The Wizard and the Prophet by Charles Mann, and A Farewell To Ice by Peter Wadhams, as well as some general scientific discussions on climate policy.

The personality required to solve the planetary climate emergency will need to integrate what Mann calls technological wizardry, on the model of the agricultural Green Revolution spearheaded by Norman Borlaug, and what Mann calls prophetic vision, seen in William Vogt's work to create the modern science of ecology, with its spiritual assessment of the need to transform human values to a simpler sustainable wisdom.

This combination of technology and philosophy is essential to tell a story to the world of the path needed for change, explaining the scale and speed of the required planetary transformation, together with a totally practical path that minimises the risk of conflict, presenting a critical path that evolves from our current situation without destabilising our political and economic systems.

Peter Wadhams shows some of this integrated vision in his long career working on the problems of the North Pole, which is the leading edge of climate danger. The rejection of his work by the prevailing climate paradigm of 'emission reduction alone' illustrates the challenge of telling a compelling and simple story that captures the imagination of the general public in a way that overcomes the resistance of the various dogmatic tribes who now engage in futile combat over their ideological positions.

My view, which I plan to express in my forthcoming book titled Christianity for the Age of Aquarius, is that the required vision to solve the climate problem will need to integrate several conflicting traditions, including from science, religion, philosophy and politics. Just as great thinkers such as Galileo, Newton, Darwin and Einstein changed the paradigm of prevailing thought, climate stability will require a similar scientific paradigm shift, using new discoveries from seemingly disparate fields to explain the unseen meaning of existing knowledge, revealing a hidden order in the world.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Personality of scientist that solves climate change

Unread post

He is analytical to the point of self-destruction, as that analysis turn towards his own behaviors as well as the workings of the world. He's somewhat manic, spending 24+ hours at times frantically following a path of intuition towards a solution. He is an introvert, and in order to sell his ideas to the world, relies on drugs like xanax and modafinil to be more outspoken. He holds his life together with sheer willpower, due to the stresses of having his ideas subject to the scrutiny of millions.

Just some ideas.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Science & Technology”