• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Penn of Penn & Teller Confessed: There is a God!!!

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Asana Bodhitharta

Penn of Penn & Teller Confessed: There is a God!!!

Unread post

That's right! Penn of Penn & Teller Said when asked,"There is a God!"Richard Dawkins will be the next major Atheist to renounce Atheism.I told you guys! Penn was a favorite Atheist of Richard Dawkins. This will start his thinking process of why would Penn give it up. Edited by: Asana Bodhitharta at: 11/2/06 5:41 am
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

re:

Unread post

Not that it matters much what Penn and/or Teller believe, but have you got a source confirming this story?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: re:

Unread post

There Is No GodMorning Edition, November 21, 2005 · I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism. Atheism is not believing in God. Not believing in God is easy -- you can't prove a negative, so there's no work to do. You can't prove that there isn't an elephant inside the trunk of my car. You sure? How about now? Maybe he was just hiding before. Check again. Did I mention that my personal heartfelt definition of the word "elephant" includes mystery, order, goodness, love and a spare tire?So, anyone with a love for truth outside of herself has to start with no belief in God and then look for evidence of God. She needs to search for some objective evidence of a supernatural power. All the people I write e-mails to often are still stuck at this searching stage. The atheism part is easy. But, this "This I Believe" thing seems to demand something more personal, some leap of faith that helps one see life's big picture, some rules to live by. So, I'm saying, "This I believe: I believe there is no God." Having taken that step, it informs every moment of my life. I'm not greedy. I have love, blue skies, rainbows and Hallmark cards, and that has to be enough. It has to be enough, but it's everything in the world and everything in the world is plenty for me. It seems just rude to beg the invisible for more. Just the love of my family that raised me and the family I'm raising now is enough that I don't need heaven. I won the huge genetic lottery and I get joy every day. Believing there's no God means I can't really be forgiven except by kindness and faulty memories. That's good; it makes me want to be more thoughtful. I have to try to treat people right the first time around. Believing there's no God stops me from being solipsistic. I can read ideas from all different people from all different cultures. Without God, we can agree on reality, and I can keep learning where I'm wrong. We can all keep adjusting, so we can really communicate. I don't travel in circles where people say, "I have faith, I believe this in my heart and nothing you can say or do can shake my faith." That's just a long-winded religious way to say, "shut up," or another two words that the FCC likes less. But all obscenity is less insulting than, "How I was brought up and my imaginary friend means more to me than anything you can ever say or do." So, believing there is no God lets me be proven wrong and that's always fun. It means I'm learning something. Believing there is no God means the suffering I've seen in my family, and indeed all the suffering in the world, isn't caused by an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent force that isn't bothered to help or is just testing us, but rather something we all may be able to help others with in the future. No God means the possibility of less suffering in the future. Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O and all the other things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Asana, as usual, has read and misunderstood 3rd grade English. NPR has a program entitled "This I believe." Penn wrote an essay for the program..."This I Believe: There Is No God"
Frank 013
Worthy of Worship

Unread post

A good friend of mine quoted part of this to me about a year ago. I had found the entire article since and have always liked the way Penn explains his atheistic view of beauty in the world. Later
Asana Bodhitharta

Unread post

Quote:Asana, as usual, has read and misunderstood 3rd grade English. NPR has a program entitled "This I believe." Penn wrote an essay for the program..."This I Believe: There Is No God"Actually Chris, He said that there is a God Yesterday on the Colbert Report. He said "There is a God"First he said there wasn't, then when asked again he said; "Yes, there is a God."You know, insulting me doesn't make you sound more intelligent. Especially when you keep guessing and being wrong.That old essay is a year old, he said this yesterday.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

The really important mistake Ass is making is that he thinks we look up to and worship these people. Like they are our clergy.It does not work that way. We are not sheep and we do not need to follow ANYONE. Ass is a sheep and needs to look to others for affirmation of HIS beliefs.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Hmm... let me go find his exact words. This will be fun.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

I actually do admire Penn Jillette and Richard Dawkins. I don't worship them.Funny how no search of the Internet supports Asana's claim. I am pretty skilled and finding anything I want to find on the web. I'll give it some more work and be back later.
Asana Bodhitharta

Unread post

Chris,just look up the Colbert Report on Comedy central. Then go to videos and finally look for the video with Penn as his guest.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”