• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

pctacitus - it grows ever larger

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
pctacitus

thanks guys

Unread post

Thanks for your support. It was nice of you to share your feelings and advice with me. It's always nice to know that someone is willing to take the time to offer a few words of encouragement.
pctacitus

no title seems appropriate

Unread post

I have been a bit out of it the last couple days. My grandmother whose husband passed away several months ago is in the hospital and appears to be stable with some problems that seem life-threatening. Unfortunately, my news source is a relative who spends her time at the hospital, making it hard for her to call out. They were expecting to get some test results today, but I haven't heard anything yet.
pctacitus

no title seems appropriate II

Unread post

My grandmother's test results came back, the news appears "guardedly optimistic". So I hope for the best, while trying not to get my hopes up too high.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: no title seems appropriate II

Unread post

Any news?Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
pctacitus

Unread post

Well, my Grandmother did eventually go back home. She has gotten worse since her hospitalization ended compared to before she was hospitalized. I saw her at Thanksgiving, but she's got almost no short-term memory now, she eats very little and I don't expect her to survive my Grandfather by a year. I'll see her at Christmas and I doubt she will be any better.
ZachSylvanus
Agrees that Reading is Fundamental

Unread post

That's harsh. My grandfather passed away last January, and since then we've watched my grandmother steadily slide towards illness as well. I hope for the best, and hope that you manage to have a good holiday season despite all of the troubles.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, I too hope you can manage to have a nice holiday season despite the situation. All of my grandparents have died, and I sure miss them. It seems very common for one to die, only to be followed shortly after by the other. When your spouse dies you tend to lose your will to live....from what I have heard and what I can imagine. Hang in there.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."
sandor at the zoo

Unread post

You have my sympathies, pctacitus. My aunt - who is currently living with my parents until a new caregiver can be found - has Alzheimer's disease. There are few things worse than watching an otherwise heathly person lose their memory.I hope you manage to find some enjoyment during the holidays despite your Grandmother's condition.S
pctacitus

Back from Christmas

Unread post

With the Christmas aftermath over, I have come to the conclusion that everybody in the family knows my Grandmother is in bad shape. Nobody who has the ability and authority to do anything does anything because it's a lose/lose situation. They tick her off if they make decisions for her and they lose if they don't make decisions for her.In the end, I think that given her situation she's holding out for one reason. It was my grandfather/her husband, it's now her great-grandchild (my cousin is due to give birth late spring-early summer), or my other cousin (her grandson) is getting married next May. After that, if she holds out that long (we all doubt that) she is unlikely to live much longer.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Re: Back from Christmas

Unread post

SamuelHoward Bloom's The Lucifer Principle hit on the subject of people losing the will to live when they no longer feel valuable or needed by their social group. Not that you can change something that might be inevitable, but you might want to help encourage your grandmother to find the will to live by seeing value in being a grandmother. Wisdom comes with age and the vast knowledge your grandmother possesses can be an asset to the entire family. In some societies the elderly are well respected and admired. Again, there may be little you can do to prevent the unavoidable...but it is just a thought.Chris "When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,for there you have been, and there you will always want to be."

Return to “Everything Else”