• In total there are 3 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Our Own Personal Black Hole

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
marti1900

Our Own Personal Black Hole

Unread post

This scientist thinks he created a black hole in the lab!news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4357613.stmJust think of the ramifications. Every municipality could have it's own little black hole for all the trash it collects every week. Maybe we could use them to get rid of the nuclear waste (a subject dear to my glow-in-the-dark heart).But what if the manufacture of black holes gets out of hand... that giant sucking sound you hear is the lab and the scientist disappearing into the void, then the town, then the county, then the state....Marti in Mexico
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Re: Our Own Personal Black Hole

Unread post

Old news. My banking company has made a black hole at my local branch, and I have evidence.
marti1900

Unread post

And that black hole would be....your account?Marti in Mexico
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I have heard this mentioned as a possibility of particle accelerators...but I do not know much about it to talk much more on it.Interesting...Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Ken Hemingway

Unread post

Richard Posner has a book out called Catasrophe in which he considers all the terrible things that might happen to us. One of them is for particle physicists to create black holes which would suck up the earth in milliseconds.The physicists tell us it can't happen. (I believe them).Should we see an event like that as a great tragedy. I don't think I see it that way, and I'm not sure whether to be shocked at my own lack of caring. Learning to live without hoping for an afterlife seems to have left me fairly sanguine about the value of finite lives.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

HA...an excerpt from the "Catastrophe" is in the current Skeptic Magazine as well...it is part of a one two punch along with Diamond's excerpt.Mr. P. The one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “Science & Technology”