• In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Open your Womb to God?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Open your Womb to God?

Unread post

It is this type of thinking that makes me fear Christians and religious people in general. This is not a good strategy for our times. This is ignorance run wild...and a bit selfish. There is another family that was featured on a TV show like this, the Duggers. Ig'nant and simple, the minds of fanatical Christians.And WHY does so many bible references talk about soldiers and imply war? Ever listen to some of these evangelical preachers?Wombs Open to GodQuote:The Bortels form part of the "quiverfull" movement, a small but growing conservative Protestant group that eschews all forms of birth control and believes that family planning is exclusively God's domain. The term derives from Psalm 127:Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,The fruit of the womb is a reward.Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,So are the children of one's youth.Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy PiperEdited by: misterpessimistic  at: 11/19/06 11:24 am
Rich206

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finally Comfortable

Re: Open your Womb to God?

Unread post

I had not heard of this particular sect, but I have been aware of a growing trend of religious pharmacists denying birth control to women. Maybe this isn't something new, but I hadn't heard of it until a couple of years ago. It would seem that the "barefoot and pregnant" crowd is getting bolder. As always, it's not enough for them to believe in it, but they have to try and enforce their religious beliefs on others. I read of one particular case of a woman who was told that her prescription would not be filled and she would not be referred to another pharmacist who would fill it - in fact, the pharmacist wouldn't even give her the prescription back!
Rich206

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

I found an article that refers to the seizing of prescriptions. Here's a selection:"We've heard stories about them being turned away or referred to other pharmacies," said Karen Pearl, national president of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America. "And even more alarmingly, some women are being denied birth control and the pharmacist keeps their prescription. They are also being given moral lectures, religious lectures. Women are being told contraception is abortion, which it is not."and this: At least 11 states are considering legislation that would allow pharmacists to deny prescriptions, and legislation has been proposed in California, Missouri and New Jersey that would protect a customer's ability to have prescriptions filled. North Carolina's pharmacist licensing board recently clarified its policy to prevent pharmacists from obstructing customers from getting prescriptions.So this is no small matter of an isolated case or two.Here's a longer article for anyone who's interested:The New Birth Control Ban
funda62

Unread post

As a woman who would have a baby every year if it were "left up to god" this makes me want to scream. I'm just too danged fertile.The thing that bothers me most about this way of thinking is the thing that bothers me about most christian sects, they take a single verse or passage and focus on it very narrowly. Like the snake handlers of Alabama and Georgia. Funny how you never hear of a sect that focuses on verses like Genesis 17:14 Quote:And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.Heather "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, prehaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." -Henry David Thoreau
Rich206

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Finally Comfortable

Unread post

I didn't mean to try to hijack the thread with my posts about attempts to deny women birth control, but I do think that this "quiverfull" sect is an extreme example of a growing religious movement to define sex as solely for the purposes of procreation within marriage. The new Bush appointee to oversee federally funded family planning programs at the Department of Health and Human Services, Eric Keroack, previously headed an antiabortion center here in Massachusetts that preaches against the use of birth control. According to a Washington Post article:ERIC KEROACK is the medical director of an antiabortion "pregnancy counseling" center that refuses to distribute contraceptives or encourage their use -- even by married couples. The organization, called "A Woman's Concern," says it is "persuaded that the crass commercialization and distribution of birth control is demeaning to women, degrading of human sexuality, and adverse to human health and happiness." It believes -- despite abundant evidence to the contrary -- that making birth control available, "especially among adolescents, actually increases (rather than decreases) out-of-wedlock pregnancy and abortion." These views would be merely bizarre were it not for this additional disturbing fact: Dr. Keroack, an obstetrician-gynecologist, is about to start work at the Department of Health and Human Services, overseeing federally funded family planning programs. To put it simply, the Bush administration's choice to direct the federal effort to make contraceptives available to low-income women works for a group that doesn't support using contraception. What comes next -- a science adviser who doesn't believe in evolution? He also apparently authored a presentation that suggested that too much sex causes a kind of "brain damage" by claiming that sex causes some kind of oxytocin withdrawal which prevents people from bonding in relationships (if they have sex with too many people they can't bond with just one). I've been looking for a citation for that, but the pdf slide presentation is now behind a membership wall at abstinence.net, so I've only been able to read about it secondhand. I also recently noted the attempt to expand "abstinence-only" programs, which discourage sex outside marriage and censor information about birth control, to adults up the age of 29. Edited by: Rich206 at: 11/22/06 5:54 pm
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Your thoughts are not a 'highjack' Rich...it is a very valid aside to the main topic and important to consider.It reminds me of a quote from Braveheart: "If we can't force them out, we'll breed them out". Meaning of course that the strategy is to create more mindless morons and eventually gain a majority.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”