Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 13, 2021 4:35 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Official Poll - Non-Fiction book for May & June 2008 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Booktastic!

Silver Contributor

Inner Fish - 6

Inner Ape - 5

Predictably Irrational - 5

In Cold Blood - 1

Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:55 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Booktastic!

Silver Contributor

I will cast my votes for "Inner Fish" All three.

"Predictably Irrational" reminds me too much of "Freakonomics" (which I am listening to now).

"Inner Ape" I have seen before and thought to pick up...but we already read Diamond's "Third Chimpanzee", again this rreminds me of that book.

"Cult of Pharma" looked interesting, but after reading the description, not what I would consider at this point. (I read a similar book a while ago called "Selling Sickness" that was similar to this one).

"In Cold Blood" - Why?

So there it is. New Totals:

Inner Ape - 5

Inner Fish - 9

Cult of Pharma - 1

Predictably Irrational - 5

In Cold Blood - 1

Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:07 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

You kinda wish you never stepped into the role of score keeper, eh? LOL

Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:40 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Masters

The Cult of Pharmacology
Predictably Irrational
Our Inner Ape

I suggested the first two, which I will read anyway for my real-life book group. Our Inner Ape also seemed interesting and discussion-worthy.

The other two books seemed less appealing. In Cold Blood doesn't interest me at all, and I'm afraid a book about evolution won't give us anything to talk about.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:22 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Is anyone else going to vote and participate in the next non-fiction discussion? Not many people have cast votes so far.

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:32 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

Post Hail to the Chief
I'm going to give 2 to predictably irrational, and 1 to my inner fish. :beer2:

Where do we get the books? Do we get a discount for being members? I already emailed some ebay sellers to see who will sell for the cheapest amount on the fish book. I think I can haggle for around 15$ per book including shipping inside the US.

Ophelia, and others out there, I know I can get the fish book for $10 but international shipping might make it more expensive than just buying it over there. I don't know yet

:(

Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:30 am
Profile Email YIM
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

Where do we get the books? Do we get a discount for being members? I already emailed some ebay sellers to see who will sell for the cheapest amount on the fish book. I think I can haggle for around 15$ per book including shipping inside the US.

Ophelia, and others out there, I know I can get the fish book for $10 but international shipping might make it more expensive than just buying it over there. I don't know yet

Now I'm curious: where do you live? "International shipping"?

No, there are no discounts for BT members as of today.

As a matter of routine, I'm used to computing the variables of ordering from France, the UK and the US, and price factor versus speed factor...

E Bay is a good idea.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:39 pm
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

Post homies
In France, right next to Harry Potter and Johnny quest!

Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:23 pm
Profile Email YIM
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

Hmm... Would you like to tell us more, for example in your introduction, such as where in France, whether you're on business, or an expat... or are you travelling incognito? :rambo:

Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:12 pm
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

Post Ophelia
Yes, incognito is as close as I will allow you. I ran into some trouble a while ago and some persons of considerable rank have been after me for quite some time, although I haven't been in the military as you might assume. I've taken up residents with my good friends Harry and Johnny and I currently am cooking up a devious plan that will surely award me with both position and financial happiness. France is the only country on earth that would provide me with such an opportunity and that is why I've found a temporary home here. I look forward to seeing you at the ball that I am sure you will invite me too. Your mansion looks lovely.

Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:50 pm
Profile Email YIM

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

I just noticed that I didn't vote. :oops:

2 for Inner Fish
1 for Irrational

Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:19 am
Profile Email WWW
Pop up Book Fanatic

Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body by Neil Shubin.

I do this mainly because I have already purchased the book and have begun reading it.

Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:04 pm
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

Post Your inner fish
Hey everyone!

It looks as though the fish book is going to be the next read. I went ahead and asked Neil Shubin for an extended interview that we can conduct with him over the course of reading the book.

This is what Doctor Shubin had to say about that:

Hi John, I'd be happy to help. Feel free to email. I'll be travelling a good bit so there might be a short delay in my responses. I hope the book provides the grist for good exchanges among the members of the group. Best, Neil

Sent from iPhone

Isn't that great?!?!?! What a nice guy!

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:16 am
Profile Email YIM
Oddly Attracted to Books

Gold Contributor

I'm sure Chris will be in touch with you about this.

Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:29 am
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

Uh-oh... I don't like the way you said that.

Am I in trouble? :help:

Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:15 am
Profile Email YIM
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next