Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 15, 2021 3:09 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Official Poll - Jan. & Feb. 2009 Non-Fiction Book 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Post Official Poll - Jan. & Feb. 2009 Non-Fiction Book
[align=center]Official Poll - January & February 2009 Non-Fiction Book[/align]

This poll will run from Thursday, December 12th through Sunday, December 21.

This is the official poll to select our January & February 2009 non-fiction book.

How to vote...

Only active members with 25 or more posts on our forums are permitted to vote in book polls. And please think before you vote. Votes influence the direction and future of our community. If you don't see yourself ordering the book you are voting for, reading that book, and making posts about that book on the forums don't vote. Book polls are not for sharing your opinion on what you consider to be a good book. They are exclusively for selecting a book that we can and will all read and discuss as a group. Your vote matters.

You can cast 3 votes. Distribute your 3 votes however you see fit. Maybe you really like 1 of the 3 choices and don't like the other 2 choices at all. In this case you can assign all 3 of your votes to your favorite book.

Or maybe you like two books with one of them being your top choice. The 3rd choice is not attractive at all. So you would want to assign 2 votes to your top choice and 1 vote for your 2nd choice. Assign no points to the 3rd choice.

Are you catching on? Yes, you can assign 1 vote to each of the 3 books. And please do vote even if you think you will be happy with any of the 3 books winning. The reason why your vote matters, in such an example, is because casting 1 vote per book shows other members that you will be participating in the discussion. Other people base their votes on how other people have voted, so please vote!

If you forget to cast 3 votes we will assume all 3 of your votes were meant for the 1 book for which you voted.

To vote simply make a post in this thread stating how you assign your 3 votes.

Example:

2 votes for Book Title 1
1 vote for Book Title 2

The 3 choices are as follows...

Last edited by Chris OConnor on Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:40 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Bad Money: Reckless Finance, Failed Politics, and the Global Crisis of American Capitalism by Kevin Phillips
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/067001 ... 0670019070

Product Description
The bestselling author reveals how the U.S. financial sector has hijacked our economy and put America's global future at risk

In American Theocracy, Kevin Phillips warned us of the perilous interaction of debt, financial recklessness, and the increasing cost of scarce oil. The current housing and mortgage debacle is proof once more of Phillips's prescience, and only the first harbinger of a national crisis. In Bad Money, Phillips describes the consequences of our misguided economic policies, our mounting debt, our collapsing housing market, our threatened oil, and the end of American domination of world markets. America's current challenges (and failures) run striking parallels to the decline of previous leading world economic powers

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:55 am
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I can has reading?

Silver Contributor

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:14 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I Should Be Bronzed

Silver Contributor

I know I suggested Beyond Culture but I think that it would be better for me, right now, to read Bad Money. Beyond Culture isn't going anywhere and it isn't a 'new' book anyway.

I don't know how accurate this book can be as all this is just happening and is continuing to happen. I'll give it a chance as I'd like to be somewhat in the know.

So,

2 Bad Money
1 Beyond Culture

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:05 am
Profile Email YIM

Platinum Contributor
Book Discussion Leader

Ah, this is a tough one. I'm tempted to think that After Tamerlane might challenge me the most, since it steers away from Eurocentrism. But I like the potential of Hall's book to spark a more wide-ranging discussion. And then I'd welcome more background on why the U.S. seems to be losing it fast, which Philips will tell us.

3 votes for (eenie meanie minie).... Beyond Culture (there are always future months for the others).

Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:00 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Brilliant

Bronze Contributor 2

Thanks for not finalizing any religious titles. I also believe that this book Bad Money has the greatest likelihood of being relevant and informative.

Last edited by Grim on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:44 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Three votes for Bad Money, but I think it is extremely useful to also read After Tamerlane, as it provides one of the best diagnostics I have seen of the historic causes of the rise and fall of empires. As the US Dollar shifts from being a reserve currency, the monopolar vision since the Second World War will come more under challenge. Darwin provides a very eye-opening account of the relations between European empires and their colonial subjects in a way that is highly relevant to contemporary politics.
RT

Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:54 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Silver Contributor

Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:45 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Masters

Actually, all three books sound interesting. I'll let the result of decide.

Edit:
Julian, how about we assign 1 vote for each of the 3 books?
Chris

Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:46 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Upper Echelon 3rd Class

BookTalk.org Moderator
Book Discussion Leader
Silver Contributor

3 votes for Bad Money. Kevin Phillips published the book in April 2008 and it appears he was proved completely correct less than 6 months later...

Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:22 pm
Almost Awesome

Platinum Contributor

1 vote for After Tamerlane

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:42 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Anyone want to tally these points? :bananadance:

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:54 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Booktastic!

Silver Contributor

Anyone want to tally these points? :bananadance:

Since I am not active and have to poke my head in and show I still care....

13 Beyond Culture

12 Bad Money

2 Tamerlane

Now lets see if I lost count as I used to!

Mr. P.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:57 pm

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

13 Beyond Culture

15 Bad Money

2 Tamerlane

I've read the reviews of all 3 books and find it strange that Beyond Culture has so very little written about it. This makes me nervous. It was also written a long time ago (1976) and in almost 33 years there simply aren't any Editorial Reviews on Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/produc ... 55&s=books

If Beyond Culture were such a good book I'd expect to see some debate and discussion on the book, not to mention at least a half dozen editorial reviews, but the reality is people aren't talking about this book much so I don't think it would suddenly make for a great discussion topic here on BookTalk.org. And this matters to me. Then again, if a group of members think this would be fun to discuss then we could indeed have a fantastic discussion. I just think the 33 year history of this book should be considered. There are only about 8 customer reviews of this book in 33 total years.

Bad Money seems appropriate as a group discussion book because of what is happening in the financial and housing markets today. The US is losing its status as the world leader in many arenas and it is time for all of us to address what this can mean to our future. It looks like Bad Money would force us to discuss some painful realities. And the book came out a few months ago and already has 10x as many customer reviews as Beyond Culture.

The 3rd choice, After Tamerlane, doesn't appeal to me because the people most apt to discuss the book are already fairly deep into the discussion in the Additional Non-Fiction Book Discussions forum. I doubt they will have it in them to move their energy and time from that discussion into a new forum and extend the discussion for several more months. But we can allow them to speak for themselves. Besides, the book doesn't excite me the way Bad Money does.

Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 pm
Profile Email WWW
Better Thread Count than Your Best Linens

Silver Contributor

13 Beyond Culture

15 Bad Money

2 Tamerlane

I am going to rescind my three votes for Beyond Culture and add them to Bad Money, not so much because I have changed my mind, though you did have valid points, Chris, but because I am leaving tomorrow morning to spend the holidays with my family. This way I will be more confident that the choice will be secured and I can safely order my copy of Bad Money before I leave.

So the new count is:
Bad Money 18
Beyond Culture 10
Tamerlane 2

Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:16 pm
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page 1, 2  Next