• In total there are 4 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Not good at this

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
philocrates

Not good at this

Unread post

Intros are not my strong point.The basics would be 45 [midlife crisis?], in a long term relationship, lives in central Pa [are we yawning yet?], jack of all trades [auctioneer, touch of academic, former cop and forensic psych tech], bird rehab [wild and exotic], loves to cook, loves to read.On the other level I am up in the air. When asked what I am I usually reply Epricuean [which leads to a huh?] The Nature of Things and Religious Studies major shook me up. Those things that were long held tenets aren't anymore. I can't do that. I always had my doubts but they managed to blossom and upon examination I don't regret it.Other places on the net esp those aimed at "literary" thinking sometimes tend to be problematic with me because I get tired of those few who are determined not to let me do my own seeking but "Help me find the RIGHT way or the right belief [read Christian morals and ethics ]" right being something, by the way under my questions, they can't define. I guess I have a lot of the sophists in me also. Prove this or define so I understand what you are talking about then we can agree or disagree. Suprising how many get extremely angry I don't understand right is simply right .So I wandered here. Now we shall see. At least my mind will get fed.
Tiarella

Re: Not good at this

Unread post

Welcome to the forum, Phil! I think you'll like it here. From what I've observed, people at BookTalk like to subject both their doubts and their certainties to critical examination.There are several of us here with backgrounds in psychology, classics, and religion(s). (I read your ezboard profile. ) I've a touch of all three - plus I used to be a birder, and am owned by a healthy old parrot. I look forwards to reading your future posts!
Hestiasmissives

Unread post

Well I'm obviously at a lower level because I have no idea what an "epricuean" is. I know what an epicurian is, but that wouldn't have anything to do with religious studies, unless you were religiously devoted to food.Please explain.
philocrates

Unread post

Epicurus was a Greek philosopher. Basic it breaks down to "I don't know if there are gods or there is a god. IF there is one or are ones, I don't think they care but are involved in their own concerns just as we are. When we die we return to where we came from atoms so in that way we continue on and are part of everything When we are dead we are dead; living is what should concern us. The goal of life is pleasure." You can find out more here: www.epicurus.net/I recommend a good translation of On the Nature of Things. They have a link to a version of it. The food thing came from this but the way we use the term today doesn't jive with the philosophical meaning of it. The Two Rules for a successful life:Always Pillage before you burn and Unless you would enjoy life as a frog, avoid pissing off wizards.
Hestiasmissives

Unread post

Thank you and welcome. You have just added to my ever growing reading list.

Return to “Everything Else”